Thread: 90s/00s American Standards

Forum Member

90s/00s American Standards

Hi everyone, new to the forum. Based in the UK and been a Telecaster player for around 25 years.

Something I've noticed about my 1996 American Standard and a friend's 2005 American Standard is the bridge pickup on both seem much louder and meatier than any other Teles. Played the 05 one against a 2012 American Standard earlier and there's no comparison in terms of tone.

Wondered if this is something that's well known? Assuming it's down to the pickup or does anyone know if there are any other differences in build with these guitars?

Re: 90s/00s American Standards

Quote Originally Posted by Matt.H View Post
    Hi everyone, new to the forum. Based in the UK and been a Telecaster player for around 25 years.

Something I've noticed about my 1996 American Standard and a friend's 2005 American Standard is the bridge pickup on both seem much louder and meatier than any other Teles. Played the 05 one against a 2012 American Standard earlier and there's no comparison in terms of tone.

Wondered if this is something that's well known? Assuming it's down to the pickup or does anyone know if there are any other differences in build with these guitars?

I don’t know much about Teles but regarding strats, one of the features of the American Standard/Series was having a hot bridge pickup and a tone control for it (which was a common custom mod strat owners would usually do in the 70s and on), so that the guitar would have a little more bite and be more versatile for the modern music…

Maybe Teles have evolved alike.

Forum Member

Fender changed the pickups from the American Standard/American Series pickup to the Custom Shop Broadcaster pickup circa March 2012. I've played a few that were equal to - or more bold - than the older pickups, but most that I played seemed to be lower output than the older pickups.

Quote Originally Posted by John C View Post
    Fender changed the pickups from the American Standard/American Series pickup to the Custom Shop Broadcaster pickup circa March 2012. I've played a few that were equal to - or more bold - than the older pickups, but most that I played seemed to be lower output than the older pickups.

That confirmed what I thought. The earlier batches had slightly hotter bridge pickups. In the early 2000s they switched to Custom Shop Fat 50s in strats and Custom Shop Broadcasters in Teles.

You’re the man, John. Thanks!