Thread: The Sunday Thread - It's January 23, 2022

The Sunday Thread - It's January 23, 2022

Good morning/afternoon/evening! January is generally a blasé month; everyone winding down from the holiday season and looking forward to the more engaging months ahead. February brings Carnival/Mardi Gras and opportunities for rowdiness, but January is pretty much a stay-at-home type of month.

Except for me, this week brings three family birthdays: Tomorrow is my son-in-law's, Friday is my sister's, and Saturday is my daughter's. My sister lives in Massachusetts, so I will wish her the best electronically. I have gifts for my kids, the question is when will I be able to present them to them? Probably next weekend.

This week is also an "on" week for me. As the software trainer for my company, I'm on when giving a training, and off when I'm recovering. That means today will be my day for introspection and rest.

My back has been giving me trouble. Standing and sitting can be problematic, but I don't seem to have issues moving about or sitting quietly. It's done this before (maybe I've slept on it awkwardly) and all I can do is let it work itself out. Crossing my fingers.

So, what's on your plate? Is January an up month for you, or a forgettable one?
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Re: The Sunday Thread - It's January 23, 2022

Driving to my girlfriends to work on her house, readying it for sale. Then I have several days of training, in the middle of which I will leave if another job offer comes through. I just started a new and decent job, but money is money.

Connected with a guy I might jam with. Not sure about him. I'm not interested in playing every week with him. He's into the kind of classic rock that I don't care for. Barre chords ad nauseum. Still, it'll be fun to pull out the gear and use it a bit.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

got the house to myself this week, bro is in FL on vacation visiting friends. I'm going to work on stuff that involves hammering, grinding, sawing that would be problematic otherwise if he were working from home. Hope to make a big stride towards getting the cellar ready for my music room. In March we are addressing electrical issues, I want nothing in the way of the electrician(s) when it comes time.

We are well into the throes of cold weather, but so far have avoided the heavy snows, the deep stuff not the 8 gazillion pounds a shovelful kind. We've had that and I still have a knot in my back that just nags me enough to be noticeable. I'd keep my fingers crossed but that makes it difficult to play guitar and do work. It looks like we're going to just barely reach 32 degrees so I'm going to get outside for a walk.

I got to be careful, I think I feel GAS building. A tele shaped object, light, resonant seems to be reaching out to me. I don't want to spend any money right now, dammit. In fact, I should be selling, not buying. Maybe that's what I'll do today. After seeing the sparse selection of used stuff locally, I ought to be able to move stuff quickly. Got a car so I can run off to meet anytime.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

January was a busy month and February will be the same. Next week I'll hit a big number for me - my 1,500th board workshop. In two weeks I'll also be a step closer to my goal of working with every school board in the state. I'm scheduled for board #162 (out of 169). I figure I have two more years to get the other 7 - I'm thinking of retiring in a couple years, so we'll see. This week is not very busy, since I was supposed to be on a trip to Nashville to visit my birth mother and her family, but we've postponed the trip. Her husband (I guess he's my stepdad? ) is undergoing chemo and his doctor advised against him getting the vaccine during the treatments, so they have to be extremely careful. It's particularly troublesome since I found out through the grapevine that one of my coworkers is sick with COVID and nobody said anything. We're a small office so we all work in close proximity to each other and I'm still pissed off that they decided to keep it a secret. Mrs. Junkie and I both got tested last week, just in case, but we'll plan on going later in the year (when I can drive and make a proper vacation out of it).

Lazy day planned - just finished a book and am lying low - trying to keep from ingesting a lot of food today. I'm only 1 1/2 pounds away from my goal and I'd love to do it this week. Then I'll have to work on maintaining.

I need to figure out why my generator's electric start isn't working. I put in a new battery, but it didn't seem to charge. I then got a new battery charger/maintainer and it still won't do anything so I'm suspecting the switch may be bad. After a lot of effort I did manage toi start it with the pull cord - but that was not fun. At least I know we'll have power if the power goes out. My electrician stepson says he'll come up to take a look at it soon.

I also may need to do a plumbing call... I am on the board of directors for Discovering Amistad and we own the schooner, the Amistad. it needs some plumbing repairs in the galley and they need volunteers to fix a bunch of stuff. I told them I can do it if the space isn't too tight, but usually space is lacking on any kind of seaward critter. I changed my kitchen faucet last summer and it took me forever to get out of the cabinet and then I had to lay on the floor for 10 minutes before I could pick myself up. Of course, I was 45 pounds heavier back then!

Well, everybody have a good week and stay safe!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

It’s a fun day with friends here behind the cheddar curtain after a bloody mary or three and a good breakfast so what more can you ask for? I’ll tell you…I’m waitin’ for spring and my new Corvette. I received this email from GM on December 28th.

Nice! (You have to have an order "accepted?")
    Striving to be ordinary

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

More unpacking for me. Rebuilt the Wi-Fi so I could use my second router as a repeater upstairs as well as a point of hard wire for the printer. Got a London tube map poster dry mounted and in a frame yesterday, so hung it today. The home office is having a British theme. Tin models of Mini, Double Deckers already in place. 3 Beatles BW frame photos already located and unpacked. Need to find the tin English phone booth.
    to get:
    an Abbey Toad tin
    a Who tin
    a Mind the Gap tin
    6 Hercules wall mount guitar hangers
    ill reuse my amp stand right now upstairs for the Mesa. I’ll have to get another for downstairs for my Fractal once I get the baby grand piano reassembled and located
    Mark

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

More unpacking for me. Rebuilt the Wi-Fi so I could use my second router as a repeater upstairs as well as a point of hard wire for the printer. Got a London tube map poster dry mounted and in a frame yesterday, so hung it today. The home office is having a British theme. Tin models of Mini, Double Deckers already in place. 3 Beatles BW frame photos already located and unpacked. Need to find the tin English phone booth.
    to get:
    an Abbey Toad tin
    a Who tin
    a Mind the Gap tin
    6 Hercules wall mount guitar hangers
    ill reuse my amp stand right now upstairs for the Mesa. I’ll have to get another for downstairs for my Fractal once I get the baby grand piano reassembled and located

oh forgot, need to get 3 fancy trunks to store stuff in as the closet is full
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post

Nice! (You have to have an order "accepted?")
    There are many people trying to purchase the current Corvette and it is hard to find a dealer that has an allocation available to order a car. To see that the car you have written up with your local dealer has been accepted is a big step forward to receive the car you want. It’s not the same scenario as ordering a new Corvette in the ‘60s.

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    There are many people trying to purchase the current Corvette and it is hard to find a dealer that has an allocation available to order a car. To see that the car you have written up with your local dealer has been accepted is a big step forward to receive the car you want. It’s not the same scenario as ordering a new Corvette in the ‘60s.
    Interesting. So GM has pre-decided how many units they're going to build and then allocate them, is that it? Does that mean you don't have a choice in options (if there are any) or colors?

I ordered a Mercedes CLK430 in September of 1999. I took possession in January, 2000. It was built to my specs, insofar as what Mercedes offered in the way of add-ons.
    Striving to be ordinary

It’s a fun day with friends here behind the cheddar curtain after a bloody mary or three and a good breakfast so what more can you ask for? I’ll tell you…I’m waitin’ for spring and my new Corvette. I received this email from GM on December 28th.

Great to know you’re having a good time, Rob!

Btw I have a very nice tee shirt I think you’d love (hahahaha)…

just kidding:

As for me, I’m having a pretty shitty time regarding my health and my relatives’ but it’s not my style to drop my loads of shit on anyone’s lap so… nevermind.

Good news is: my band will restart activities for real next Thursday and I’ll be recording and releasing my first single.

Dang - that sucker looks like it's going 100 mph sitting still.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    As for me, I’m having a pretty shitty time regarding my health and my relatives’ but it’s not my style to drop my loads of shit on anyone’s lap so… nevermind.

Good news is: my band will restart activities for real next Thursday and I’ll be recording and releasing my first single.
    Sorry, Sergio - hope things go well healthwise - and also with the new recording!

Lousy weekend here. Tested positive by rapid test on Friday morning, had to call out of work. By the rules there, it's 5 days quarantine, so I'm eligible to go back Wednesday.
    Feeling relatively fine; I have a cough that's left over from a cold I had a few weeks ago, so anything to do with Covid is blended in with that.
    The kiddo had tested positive Tuesday night via PCR (got the results Wed morning) - me and the Mrs were negaitive, and negative on Thursday via rapid. She's still negative via PCR and Rapid, hoping that continues. |Kiddo's good to go back to school today, so I have a couple days at home.
    Aside from the honey-do list, I'm thinking of assembling the Klon Klone I've had sitting around today, and maybe doing a batch of homebrew tomorrow.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.