Thread: 1972 Strat

Forum Member

1972 Strat

Hello everyone!

I am currently looking at a 1972 Fender Strat to purchase locally. It has changed electronics, the center pickup cavity routed, extra holes on the headstock from different tuners, lots of checking and wear through on the sunburst finish. The rosewood board is dented in spots.

Wondering if it's worth their price, they are looking to get around $2700 for it.

Seems like the image is not showing up, Here is a link: https://ibb.co/rdnsjBS

Last edited by RSFenderGuy; 01-19-2022 at 08:05 AM. Reason: Added image

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: 1972 Strat

Hack jobs such as that depicted in the link are seldom worth the asking price and 1972 is not a particularly desirable year for Strats.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

TFF Stage Crew

$2.7K does seem a bit steep for a player-grade instrument, but the actual value would be very hard to calculate. You have to ask yourself this: with the modifications known to have been made, which ones are reversible, & what would it cost to have them done? From your description, the wiring harness might be the only thing you can take care of. While not impossible, that could be difficult & expensive. Then you're still stuck with a guitar that has a three-bolt neck, bullet trussrod adjustment on the headstock, zinc saddles, & wood removed.
    On the other hand, if it has everything you need in terms of sound, feel, & playability, then you have to have it.
    That's not very much help, I know

Forum Member

Thanks guys, I really would like to get a 60's, but the prices are just too crazy. I figured early 70's is better cost wise, but I would have to deal with known 70's issues.

While I do think the price is high, I look at relic'd modern reissue guitars at double the price and think maybe it's not too bad?

I don't know, tough decision. It does play nice and I do like the weight & feel of the neck. Something to think about.

I could have bought a mint one for around a grand just a few years back, this recent vintage price surge is driving me and a lot of others out of the market.

If the guitar "does it" for you and you can negotiate a palatable price then there's no need for us to try and talk you off the ledge......go for it.

I guess this is what's called, "chasing tone?" Having never played a 50s-60s-70s-80s Strat, I can't imagine what the difference might be. My oldest is a 1994, and when I haven't bought new, I bought primarily on aesthetics. I've been perfectly happy with new Strats, and if I want tone, I flip a few knobs on my modeling amp.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    If the guitar "does it" for you and you can negotiate a palatable price then there's no need for us to try and talk you off the ledge......go for it.
    Thanks, they are not budging on the price and that alone makes me not want to buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    I guess this is what's called, "chasing tone?" Having never played a 50s-60s-70s-80s Strat, I can't imagine what the difference might be. My oldest is a 1994, and when I haven't bought new, I bought primarily on aesthetics. I've been perfectly happy with new Strats, and if I want tone, I flip a few knobs on my modeling amp.
    Completely understand that, I have a 1989 that I bought brand new and I still love it to this day. Just really want a vintage one, might hold out and try to score a deal on a 60's.

you might try looking for a refinished '60s Strat. Yes, they're also up in this market but not nearly as much as the 100% original ones.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    you might try looking for a refinished '60s Strat. Yes, they're also up in this market but not nearly as much as the 100% original ones.
    Very good suggestion, thank you!

This kind of reply is exactly why this forum is so much better than all the others I read.

+1

Quote Originally Posted by RSFenderGuy View Post
    Very good suggestion, thank you!

Let us know what you ended up with!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    Let us know what you ended up with!
    Absolutely! I am still actually considering the 72 because of what Phantomman said, it did have a vibe and felt very comfortable to me, like a worn in jacket.

I'm just not so sure about the price. I think I could get them to $2600, but that's it.

Looking around the usual places (Reverb, Ebay) they range around $5,000 - $8,000, so I think he's priced about right, it's just a bad time to look for one with the market so crazy.

To be continued....:-)

TFF Stage Crew

As they say at the Les Paul Forum, "you're not paying too much, just buying too soon"

Quote Originally Posted by Cogs View Post
    As they say at the Les Paul Forum, "you're not paying too much, just buying too soon"

In 1980 i could've bought all the blackface Princeton Reverbs I wanted for less than $200 apiece. I wish I'd bought a dozen of 'em.

It just depends on what your goals are.

If you want a superb playing/sounding guitar there are much better options in that price range.

If you want a vintage 70's guitar then that's an affordable option.

It's your money and you get to spend it however you choose.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Forum Member

Well, I went back there last night and the guitar was gone. Some guy traded a couple old Gretch Archtops for it on Saturday. Guess that makes the decision for me!

So now I am not really sure what to do. He did take a 73-74 on trade that he needs his guy to go through before he puts it up for sale, but it's a tobacco sunburst clearly has changed pickguard / electronics. Not really interested..

Thinking of maybe trying out some new ones, I just wish they didn't have 200 different strat models. I miss the days when there was just one.

Thinking of maybe trying out some new ones, I just wish they didn't have 200 different strat models. I miss the days when there was just one.
    Yeah, but think of the fun you can have! The only issue I would have is plugging the samples all into the same amp, which should also be like mine.
    Striving to be ordinary

Well, I went back there last night and the guitar was gone. Some guy traded a couple old Gretch Archtops for it on Saturday. Guess that makes the decision for me!

So now I am not really sure what to do. He did take a 73-74 on trade that he needs his guy to go through before he puts it up for sale, but it's a tobacco sunburst clearly has changed pickguard / electronics. Not really interested..

What exactly are you looking for in a Strat? What genres do you want to play? Strats are basically strats but you’ll find that a vintage strat, a vintage reissue strat and a modern style strat will be different animals.

Me, I was all seduced by vintage specs until I laid my hands on an American Standard. Hell of a player: great trem, tone control for the bridge pickup, hot sounding pickups with glassy clarity… As a working band player I never looked back.

If you can use a screwdriver and a soldering iron you could always build your own......

If you can use a screwdriver and a soldering iron you could always build your own......
    That too! You can mod a strat so that it meets all kinds of needs, from Buddy Holly's to Iron Maiden's.

If you have your heart set on a big-headstock CBS-era Strat, Fugi-Gen (Fender-Japan) builds some excellent reproductions which are accurate and affordable.

If you have your heart set on a big-headstock CBS-era Strat, Fugi-Gen (Fender-Japan) builds some excellent reproductions which are accurate and affordable.

+1

I've looked at a number of MIJ Strats, and bought a Stratocaster XII, which is an absolute powerhouse 12-string Strat!

Striving to be ordinary