Thread: Larger string gauge

Forum Member

Larger string gauge

Hello everyone! After all these years I have finally joined the forum. Thank you for being so welcoming. Im in the middle of an issue right now and before I move forward, I have a quick question. I have dunlop 6100 medium jumbo frets on my strat, they came standard on the guitar, its a 2013 Kenny Wayne Shepherd model. I have decided to move up a few gauge sizes for my strings. So instead of the 10-46 set, I have decided to go with a 13-56 set on it since I am used to playing that set on one of my other guitars. My other guitar that has that larger set came like that since I bought it with those on it. On my KWS strat now, what will I have to change in terms of hardware? Do I have to get a larger nut to fit the strings, carve the stock one out? Any help is greatly appreciated !

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: Larger string gauge

Likely you'll need to re-slot the nut to accommodate the larger-gauge strings and adjust the screw tension of the trem claw as well. It's possible that you may need to lower your pickups but you won't know that until the guitar is re-strung and you plug it into an amp.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    Likely you'll need to re-slot the nut to accommodate the larger-gauge strings and adjust the screw tension of the trem claw as well. It's possible that you may need to lower your pickups but you won't know that until the guitar is re-strung and you plug it into an amp.
    Thank you for the insight. I wasn't sure if there were different nut sizes that are pre-grooved from the factory.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

I prefer a hand-fitted nut as opposed to a one-size-fits-all generic part.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."