Thread: Twin Reverb hums - hum zero trim pot

Forum Member

Twin Reverb hums - hum zero trim pot

I'm having a slight but annoying problem with my silver face '84 (possibly) Twin Reverb.

When I switch it on an tubes are warming up (with both switches, power and standby thrown into the up position), I'm hearing a hum that start a bit louder and then fades to become fainter, but it does not totally disappear.

Only when I then use the zero out hum trim pot on the rear and turn t with a screw driver such that the hum totally disappears - and when I say "totally", I mean totally. I can zero out the hum so that the amp sounds like not being switched on at all.

So far so good.

But next time I switch on the amp the hum is there again and I have to find another point with the trim pot to zero out the hum.

In the old forum when I posted the problem (under user ChristophK, which can be back 7 or 10 years ago), someone said, I should do a modification to the wiring of the pilot lamp (add some resistor(s) or so).

Any clues?

--
    Christoph

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: Twin Reverb hums - hum zero trim pot

Problems such as you describe are rarely rectified by a mod. Your issue should be diagnosed and isolated by competent troubleshooting and analysis. Were the amp mine I'd start looking at the power supply, specifically the HV filter array and/or the biasing circuit. It appears you have some AC ripple bleeding though during the start-up sequence due to one or more tired electrolytic caps.

JMO
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Roger's "opinions" here are generally worth more than you'd pay said "competent tech."
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    Problems such as you describe are rarely rectified by a mod. Your issue should be diagnosed and isolated by competent troubleshooting and analysis. Were the amp mine I'd start looking at the power supply, specifically the HV filter array and/or the biasing circuit. It appears you have some AC ripple bleeding though during the start-up sequence due to one or more tired electrolytic caps.

JMO
    My opinion as well!

Forum Member

The "Hum Balance" is a pot that works like the 2 100 ohm resistors to ground used to provide an "artificial center tap" on the heater circuit. Earlier circuits had a center tap.
    I suspect that the pot needs cleaning/replacing.
    Last edited by Bill Moore; 01-13-2022 at 04:46 PM.