Thread: PRS Silver Sky SE

PRS Silver Sky SE

I’m not quite into Strat inspired models that are not… well… strats. But anyway, PRS launched the SE version of the Silver Sky. As far as I’ve read they cost about $850

Re: PRS Silver Sky SE

Agreed, mostly.
    I haven't had the chance to see a "real" Sky, but I wouldn't mind giving one of these a whirl, just to see.
    I'm also not a Mayer fan, so I doubt I'd ever come home with it, but again, who knows....
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

I'm a big fan of Strat inspired guitars. My USACG S-Style build is an awesome vintage style Strat style guitar and my EBMM Cutlass is more modern and is the best playing Strat style guitar I've played, by far. I've played two PRS Silver Skies and the sounded awesome and played nice (though not as nice as my Cutlass). I'll check out the SE model when it's available, but I don't need a Strat- it's the only guitar style that I have more than one of already (yes, one is actually a real Strat)!

Quote Originally Posted by jrgtr42 View Post
    Agreed, mostly.
    I haven't had the chance to see a "real" Sky, but I wouldn't mind giving one of these a whirl, just to see.
    I'm also not a Mayer fan, so I doubt I'd ever come home with it, but again, who knows....

I don’t listen to most of his albums, I like him as a blues player and for his work with Dead and Company

I've heard JM play the Silver Sky live and it's definitely a nice sounding guitar. When he switches off to another during a show you can notice the drop off. I can't say whether it's the specs or that particular guitar.

Like all Strats, the better and more sparkly the top end the better they sound live. For me a Strat is all about clarity and how it cuts the mix. YMMV.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    I've heard JM play the Silver Sky live and it's definitely a nice sounding guitar. When he switches off to another during a show you can notice the drop off. I can't say whether it's the specs or that particular guitar.

Like all Strats, the better and more sparkly the top end the better they sound live. For me a Strat is all about clarity and how it cuts the mix. YMMV.
    They say it’s the closest possible budget version

I've often been tempted to add a PRS to my collection (including the PRS SE P20 parlor guitar) but have always stopped short of pulling the trigger. Maybe if I can divest myself of some of my "overhead" guitars, I'll have room to add one. Mayer certainly makes this one sound good.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Wow, every street-corner and storefront guitar seller has gone bonkers announcing the availability of this new John Mayer "affordable' Silver Sky. Musician's Friend, Guitar Center (they're one and the same), Sweetwater, even Reverb!
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    I've often been tempted to add a PRS to my collection (including the PRS SE P20 parlor guitar) but have always stopped short of pulling the trigger. Maybe if I can divest myself of some of my "overhead" guitars, I'll have room to add one. Mayer certainly makes this one sound good.
    I've had a PRS SE Soapbar II and currently have a PRS S2 Studio and have played quite a few other SEs, Cores, and Silver Skys and they've all been nice guitars. The S2 Studio's neck has a very comfy shape and the guitar is really well built. The SE was really well built too, but felt just a little more imported than the S2- thicker finish, cheaper knobs, not as great fretwork. The SE was still a very good guitar, though.