Thread: Song of the Day: Cream, Crossroads

Song of the Day: Cream, Crossroads

Thoughts?

If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Song of the Day: Cream, Crossroads

I like the version from solo Eric that's on the Crossroads album/CD set. The bends killed me but I worked on it anyway. It's been a real long time since I've worked on it.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

I'm back on a Clapton kick, too. While some dismiss it, I love The Lady In The Balcony Lockdown Sessions! I recently commented that the Beatles got me interested in playing guitar, but Clapton KEPT me interested in it.

Recently, I came across a 'tube "Eric Clapton's 42 Greatest Guitar Techniques." It's 53 minutes long, and some of it I find a little stale, but just to consider the bends... He does 1/4, 1/2, 1 full, 1-1/2 and 2 full bends. Yowch!

Some of the other stuff highlights why Clapton is Clapton.

Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

I love Cream, but not the fast paced stuff. My favorite album is Disraeli Gears.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    My favorite album is Disraeli Gears.
    Lotta great tunes on that LP......"Outside Woman Blues", "SWLABR", "Strange Brew". Timeless tracks.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    Lotta great tunes on that LP......"Outside Woman Blues", "SWLABR", "Strange Brew". Timeless tracks.

Each of the albums is great.

i particularly like this version of Crossroads. Brevity.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Since the topic is Clapton (and NOT the song Crossroads, otherwise we'd be talking about Robert Johnson), I watched a new (?) video on Prime called Eric Clapton: Standing At The Crossroads.

I put a question mark in there because while it's listed as a 2021 release, much of the movie is archival, including interviews with Clapton, Jack Bruce, Sting, Keith Richards, and John Mayall, as well as members of the Yardbirds, etc. Some of them (Richards, Mayall) appear to be recent, which suggests this was a project that got derailed somewhere along the line about 20 years ago and someone decided to update it and release it.

Just like I watch just about everything Beatles related, so too do I watch videos on Clapton. Except the Clapton stuff is so widespread (YouTube, naturally) because he's still a playing, recording artist, it's nearly impossible to track it all.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Since the topic is Clapton (and NOT the song Crossroads, otherwise we'd be talking about Robert Johnson), I watched a new (?) video on Prime called Eric Clapton: Standing At The Crossroads.

I put a question mark in there because while it's listed as a 2021 release, much of the movie is archival, including interviews with Clapton, Jack Bruce, Sting, Keith Richards, and John Mayall, as well as members of the Yardbirds, etc. Some of them (Richards, Mayall) appear to be recent, which suggests this was a project that got derailed somewhere along the line about 20 years ago and someone decided to update it and release it.

Just like I watch just about everything Beatles related, so too do I watch videos on Clapton. Except the Clapton stuff is so widespread (YouTube, naturally) because he's still a playing, recording artist, it's nearly impossible to track it all.
    Thanks for the heads up -- it looks interesting. IMDB says it was released in 2021, but it looks like it's in standard definition, and everybody looks much younger than they do these days. Originally shot in the mid-1990s to coincide with Clapton's post-Unplugged return to blue playing? I'm trying to find the year based on Keith Richards' hairline!

UPDATE: I watched it last last night -- I'd say late 1990s or early 2000s, as Clapton talked about wanting to take a break from touring in 2002. It's not a bad documentary, and they did a good job lining up interviews with Clapton's blues heroes and contemporary musicians, but it's much more of a straight documentary when compared to A Life in 12 Bars, which Clapton himself narrated, and reflects a 15 year quantum leap in what can be done with computerized editing and montage assembling software.
    Last edited by Ed Driscoll; 01-07-2022 at 11:11 PM.