Thread: Singing Live, 1st Time in 8 Years

Singing Live, 1st Time in 8 Years

I was always the lead singer in bands--people seemed to like it. But anxiety made me flee to the shadows of bass playing. I liked being the guy most people had no interest in. I was anonymous. I did my job well on the bass, literally standing away from the spotlights. And yet, I miss playing and singing. So I've entered a songwriting contest. I don't care if I win. Some country song will win out. I have the music completed for 3 new songs, a month to finish them up an get ready to perform. One is a waltz, one a quiet rocker that gets heavy and loud by the end, and the third a balls out heavy rocker. If I'm limited to one song, it'll be the waltz. I'm proud of it because it's got a sophistication that I've never been able to achieve in my writing. When I record it, it'll have an orchestral arrangement. Describing a song is like telling a dream--it's boring to anyone who hasn't seen or heard it themselves.

Anxiety might hold me back. I'm just going to be so prepared that I could sing the song while asleep. This is a huge deal for me.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Singing Live, 1st Time in 8 Years

Share your story and progress with us here, Willie. I found that doing so when I first dared to take the stage was a great relief to me. We can share your frustrations and successes, and you don't have to keep them internalized.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I was always the lead singer in bands--people seemed to like it. But anxiety made me flee to the shadows of bass playing.
    Hmmmm, I’ve never found playing bass to make me a non-singing musician in the shadows on stage.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

There's been a lot of bassists who fronted many popular bands......like Peter Cetera (Chicago), Jack Bruce (Cream), and Felix Pappalardi (Mountain).
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    There's been a lot of bassists who fronted many popular bands......like Peter Cetera (Chicago), Jack Bruce (Cream), and Felix Pappalardi (Mountain).
    And those are fantastic frontmen. I've fronted a few bands as a bassist. Got pretty good at playing complex lines while singing--years and years of practice. I refused to sing in the last band I was in, no background, nothing. I loved loved playing live but just stuck to the shadows, which took off much pressure and allowed me to have fun. I figure the contest will be three or few songs and then, finito.

To add to the list: Sting, Phil Lynott, Greg Lake, John Weston, Geddy Lee, and so on.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    Hmmmm, I’ve never found playing bass to make me a non-singing musician in the shadows on stage.
    Didn’t hamper Sting at all
    Mark

While we're at it: Sir Paul.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    “Make me” is the wrong term. I should rather say “allowed”” me to play in the shadows. Bass playing doesn’t have to be anonymous. It let me be anonymous. Also, I was in a band that did basic “classic” rock stuff. I knew my chops and played them well; just didn’t want to be noticed.

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Just to add another bassist/lead singer. Phil Lynott
    Mark

I’m pretty sure you’ll do it well, brother!

You got this.