Thread: Who inspired you to play and own a Telecaster?

Who inspired you to play and own a Telecaster?

I’ve been a Strat owner and player since day 1. Mainly I loved the look of them and Clapton inspired me. At first I didn’t like the look of a Telecaster, it looked more like a paddle but the sounds that comes out of a Tele is unique. As I got older I really appreciated and got to love the style of the Tele and a guitar of the early 50’s it was far ahead of its time. Thanks Leo. Who finally inspired me and made lay my hard earned $$ was Joe Walsh first then Prince in Harrisons While my guitar gently weeps. His final solo has now made me a Tele owner and I love it as much as a Strat. Merry Christmas to all and happy and healthy 2022..
    It’s all Riff Raff”

TFF Stage Crew

Re: Who inspired you to play and own a Telecaster?

Danny Gatton was probably the first one to turn my attention towards Telecasters. Either him, or Roy Buchanan. Before them, I always thought that Teles were old-fashioned. Compared to a Strat, they were literally square.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Danny Gatton and Roy Buchanan were virtuosos, of that there can be no equivocation. And countless artists before and since have laid down some classic tracks on a Tele, from Jimmy Page to Joe Walsh (most of Walsh's work on the first two James Gang albums was played on a Tele). That said, I've never personally been able to bond to the instrument and I've tried twice. But I tip my hat to those players who make that guitar work for them.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

I second (third?) the mention of Gatton and Buchanan. I saw Gatton play at the Wolf Trap Farm Park Jazz and Blues Festival one year. He used a Heinekin bottle as a slide on one number and I was so close I got hit with some spray.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Keith Richards and Jimmy Page.

No one, really. I'm not sure why I got the desire to have a Tele. Maybe Mike Bloomfield. I didn't like them for a long time- until I found the right amp. Now I feel like there's nothing better.

You know, this thread got me going down memory lane, so I'm going to amend my earlier post.

I went to high school with a kid named Jeff Johnson who had a blonde/natural Tele. This was right about the time I bought a cheesy acoustic from a friend and started to learn how to play. Jeff would sit in his room noodling until friends like me came over, and I remember thinking how cool that guitar looked. I think that may be why I still gravitate towards natural-looking Teles and Strats.

When I moved overseas following my senior year, I sold my car to Jeff. Upon my return a few years later, I went to look him up and found his family had moved and I had no forwarding address.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

When I was a teen and growing up in Nashville, the Telecaster was cl*t*ral--every c*nt had one. I couldn't stand the association with such as Conway Twitty and the Saturday afternoon hayseed shows on Nashville TV.

Of course, when I grew up, I realized that I'd been seeing some of the greatest guitarists ever. George Harrison, Paul McCartney, Pete Townshend, and Jimmy Page fueled my desire for one. Pete Anderson's work on Dwight Y's stuff and The Hellecasters pushed me over the edge. When I played in bands, the Tele became my number one. Still love it but am more into my hollow bodies at the moment.

If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Here you go oldstrummer.��. Now your got me watching every Gatton video on the tube..��

https://youtu.be/337MgDe_weU
    It’s all Riff Raff”