Thread: Internet Guitar Database?

Internet Guitar Database?

Is there an Internet guitar database? I know there are firearms (both in an out of movies), cars (both in and out of movies), even effects pedals and so on, but I can't find a database that has a way to look up and compare different guitars. Would creating and maintaining one be too time-consuming and frought with error? Is it because no one is able to agree on what should be in such a database?

I ask because I've found myself putting together spreadsheets when I'm researching one or more guitars, and think it would be a whole lot easier if I could just look up and compare models. For example, I wanted to compare my Taylor GS Mini to my new Martin DJr-10E. Nothing on the web gives me that kind of side-by-side comparison. I've made a spreadsheet along these lines (not every column possible in included, because I don't care about the size of the sound hole, for example):

Model Total Length Body Length Upper Bout Waist Lower Bout Body Depth Scale Fretboard Radius Frets (to body) Nut Width
    GS Mini 37 17.625 10 9 14.375 4.438 23.5
    14 1.688
    DJr-10E 37.75 18.5 10.5 10 14.25 4 24
    14 1.75

I find this helpful, especially when I add more guitars. I can then see at a glance why I find some guitars more "playable" than others.

But none of this is online. I had to put together my spreadsheet from manufacturer's web sites, or by pulling out a tape measure.

Sure, it would be a daunting task to catalog every Gibson, every Fender, and every Furch, Godin, Kiesel, etc. But would it be useful?
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Re: Internet Guitar Database?

given the inability of guitarists to achieve consensus, I think it would be the internet equivalent of crossing the streams of the atomic accelerators in Ghost Busters. For some people, it would be useless as they plan to mod their guitars even before they buy them.

Not that I've ever bought pickups or wanted to before I even bought the guitar yet. Me? Never. Ouch, ouch, why are my pants on fire?
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

half of the problem would be not just that there are so many guitars, but the specs change all the time. Depending on how deep you go, and even presuming you stick with stock, there's a million variations of Les Pauls, or Strats, and sometimes specs will change mid-year, or even if they run out of part |A, they may substitute it with part B for an hour, or a day, week, whatever, until more As get to the building floor. Multiply that by all the bigger builders, and then the smaller ones that there are no sprc parts, but whatever the builder decides, or the buyer wants...
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

TFF Stage Crew

It sounds like a herculean task. Maybe if you started with one or two brands, but still DANG
    These pages are outdated, but think about something like this but for guitars:
    Fender Amp Field Guide

Agreed, for a sobering indication of the task just go over to the LPF and see the myriad of LP specs over the years. Since Fender bounces production of some of their guitars worldwide to the lowest bidder it's suspect that even Fender would have all that information. Finally, how would you know that the low-cost-region supplier is even following specs anyway?

I bought all of my guitars the old-fashioned way: I picked them up and tried them and see if I like them, or I built them. Luckily, the local music store will usually let me take one out and play it with the band before I buy it. After dealing with the same folks for 50 years you build a relationship like that.

That said, I only have 4 guitars out of my stable that get used very much. A Strat, A Tele, a Les Paul and a 335 clone. They've all tested and proven in live situations for years. If I can't get the job done with one of them, I probably can't get it done with anything. And the thing about specs is - in my experience they don't mean much. Some guitars are better than others and nobody really knows why.

Over the years I spend less and less time on my gear and more on my playing.

A guitar shop is like a box of chocolates.

All IMHO and YMMV,

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Nothing wrong with collecting guitars. I've got 17 guitars and basses, and I feel a bit of working class guilt, but as my girlfriend asked, "Why would you want to sell any of them?"

Creating a tech spread sheet would be fun. I'd be more likely, artsy-fartist I am, to keep record of the guitars' origins, my acquisition of them, gigging or jamming stories, notes of which of my songs were recorded on which guitars, etc. Just for my own fun.

And Chuck's right--you can get two guitars made by machines in the same factory and on the same day and have two guitars with different specs.

Kind of like having kids...
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Thanks, guys. I guess the idea is a bit out of the realm of reality. I do note however, that you've all mentioned electric guitars and their builders. Acoustic guitar makers seem to post the most relevant specs on their web sites, and if they change something, like the bracing, they also modify the model numbers.

For example, I have a Taylor GS Mini-e Koa (love that guitar, it's my favorite acoustic!). More recently, Taylor introduced an "upgraded" version and thus named it the GS Mini-e Koa Plus (the plus adds $200 to the price tag). There are some modest differences (bracing, tuners, neck joint, heel, etc.). But Taylor lists all the specs, and my expectation is that they hold to them. Otherwise, they are falsely advertising their wares.

I did a spreadsheet comparison between Martin's DJr-10E Sapele and the DJr-10E Streetmaster, and decided that the extra $100 for the Streetmaster wasn't worth it. Functionally and tonically, they are the same guitar! This is what drove my curiosity.

I'm not averse to putting together spreadsheets and feel due diligence is my responsibility. But if someone has already done the work...
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!