Thread: 'Twas The Sunday Before Christmas

'Twas The Sunday Before Christmas

And all through TFF land, not a guitarist was stirring. Not even a cheap knock-off Billy Squier wannabe.

Well, here it is, folks. Christmas is this coming weekend. I'm marveling at how prepared I am this year, and maybe even patting myself on the back a little. I have a bit of gift wrapping to do, but no last-minute scrambling for this boy!

I stayed out late last night. I was invited to a friend's Christmas party and was asked to bring a guitar. So I did. The things you don't know about people: My host has been playing piano since he was five years old and is quite good at it! We gave a little impromptu concert for the party, and each of us did solo performances as well as me (trying to) accompany him. It was a lot of fun. I took my Little Martin after dithering over which guitar to take, and in retrospect, probably should have taken one of my better guitars. Oh, well.

No more trainings for me until January, so the next couple of weeks I'll be like the school kids -- it will feel like vacation! I was asked to portray a wise man in our church's Christmas Eve live nativity scene and I agreed to do so. Talk about being miscast!

Wishing everyone a nice Sunday, and it you're traveling or just absent from the forum this week, Merry Christmas!

Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Re: 'Twas The Sunday Before Christmas

I'm back home from training. I am glad to be hunkering down in Tennessee and doing what I need to do here. It didn't work out with the coffee company for quite a few reasons beyond my (or anyone else's) control. Sucks to be jobless at Christmas time. I have an interview on Monday for a decent job. I have to make sure not to use "big words"--a hiring manager once told me that my vocabulary is too good for working around here. I need to dumb it down without dumbing it down, if you know what I mean.

Otherwise, trying hard to get my place in order. Christmas day, having over my son's in-laws for dinner and celebration.

This is one of those times in my life when the guitar gives me comfort.
    Last edited by ch willie; 12-19-2021 at 08:11 AM.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

My wife and I made a run into Chicago yesterday and it reminded me of how much I despise driving in Chicago traffic, but I did have something cool happen along the way. I have a personalized Vietnam Veteran license plate on my car that must have been noticed by the driver of a car behind us. As he passed me he popped a hand salute and gave us the “love you” hand signal. That was the first time that has ever happened to me.

Hope all have a great Sunday and week following!

the weather was so nasty last night, I could not go for a walk to look at the neighborhood lights. Hours upon hours of sleet, freezing rain and general yuck. Thank goodness for the front porch for having a session in lieu of watching a dreadful football game.

Doing some reading up on plaster walls, pros and cons. I checked a couple of switch plate holes and it looks like the original walls of this house were plaster. In 1958. You don't see much after WWII but this is NH, often a decade or more behind the rest of the country in trends (pre internet anyway)

Waited for various items in the vain hope of getting more lights up outside, except they arrived at 4 PM on Friday when it was dark and then yesterday it started snowing at 9 AM instead of 3 PM as forecasted.

Got my car jump-started Thursday by AAA. Let it run for an hour then drove it around the neighborhood to try to get the flat spots of the tires rounded out. Went to start it yesterday and it was dead as a doornail again. New battery time, I guess. Probably do that today. Hopefully the probate court will finally get the certificate of appointment done soon.

No plans for Christmas. Might get the tree up today.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Sucks to be jobless at Christmas time. I have an interview on Monday for a decent job.

I have a very strong feeling that the coffee job wasn't meant for you and that you'll soon look back at this in gratitude. In the meantime, Christmas is not only a season but a state of mind. Merry Christmas, Bill.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Like Dan, there was some nasty weather, so I got a fire going in the wood stove, to watch the Patriots embarrass themselves, for 3 qurters at least...
    I don't celebrate Christmas, so the increasing holiday songs on the radio are getting on my nerves.
    And I was just thinking about how I avoid any sort of retail establishment like the plague this week before. And how many things I'm needing.
    But I do start a new job tomorrow, so there is that.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

it's been clear and sunny here for the past couple of weeks but somewhat on the brisk side during the evenings. The tree, train, and trimmings have all been deployed and we're set for the Christmas celebration. I'll start cooking the holiday dinner on Thursday.

Y'all have a good one!
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post

I have a very strong feeling that the coffee job wasn't meant for you and that you'll soon look back at this in gratitude. In the meantime, Christmas is not only a season but a state of mind. Merry Christmas, Bill.
    OS, thank you. I have moments of extreme worry, but I'm grateful for everything I have--the love of my kids and girlfriend and pets. The guitars I can play, a warm house, etc. I love the Christmas / Holiday season, and we will celebrate with joy. Worse situations have happened to better people.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    it's been clear and sunny here for the past couple of weeks but somewhat on the brisk side during the evenings. The tree, train, and trimmings have all been deployed and we're set for the Christmas celebration. I'll start cooking the holiday dinner on Thursday.

Y'all have a good one!

I loved to see your Christmas tree and your train.

Coincidentally, I just received a reissue of a very popular and desired train model from the early 70s which I wanted under our own tree, it was called Ferrorama (Railroad-O-Rama in Portuguese), every kid wanted one: