Thread: Getting Back to the Fender VI

Getting Back to the Fender VI

If fora are any indication, folks are chasing the Fender VI because of Peter J's Get Back. It is pretty cool to watch John and George play it.

You right handers can find one pretty easily, and I just discovered that I could build a lefty from Warmoth parts. I have so many sunbursts, and I won't be trying to duplicate the Fab version. Right now, I'm imagining a finished neck and an unfinished body (so that I can play around--or not). This is what it would cost me.

If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Getting Back to the Fender VI

Lefties always get shortchanged when it comes to guitars. Fortunately, Warmoth can set you up with a lot of what you need. I hope you go for it and when you are done putting it all together, be sure to post some pictures. I've never done a finish to a body myself, but Warmoth is very good at it. Unless you are confident in your abilities, consider having Warmoth doing the finish for you. Keep us updated on your progress.
    Born in Fullerton, California in 1952

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyMac View Post
    Lefties always get shortchanged when it comes to guitars. Fortunately, Warmoth can set you up with a lot of what you need. I hope you go for it and when you are done putting it all together, be sure to post some pictures. I've never done a finish to a body myself, but Warmoth is very good at it. Unless you are confident in your abilities, consider having Warmoth doing the finish for you. Keep us updated on your progress.
    It's honestly not all that hard to do a finish - it just takes time and elbow grease.
    The biggest thing is to have a good surface to begin with - the smoother the wood, the better the result at the end.
    Seal coats, sand, color coats, sand, finish coats, sand, finish coats, sand, finish coats, sand, buff...
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

Quote Originally Posted by jrgtr42 View Post
    It's honestly not all that hard to do a finish - it just takes time and elbow grease.
    The biggest thing is to have a good surface to begin with - the smoother the wood, the better the result at the end.
    Seal coats, sand, color coats, sand, finish coats, sand, finish coats, sand, finish coats, sand, buff...

I’ve been thinking about some original artwork. Then I’ll do that elbow grease thing. Wotever I go with, it’ll be fun.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison