Thread: NOS tube replacements for a 64 super reverb

Forum Member

NOS tube replacements for a 64 super reverb

So I bought a used jun64 SR second hand I mean I bought it right from the seller, played through it and all not like second hand where it was sight unseen, 20yrs ago that had been gone through by a tech who used to post in here I’m from Detroit area in Michigan and he put 3 prong chord in and it had replaced speakers but their original cone matching set of 66 c10qs. Amp still plays great because it never saw the road or bars but I wanna get it back to close as possible with the original tubes as it has a couple rcas but the rest are groove tubes. What would be the original tube spec for this amp and can I and where would I get the tubes to refit it it as originally tubed from the factory as I think a couple are needing replacing. It’s a great amp all original minus the 3 prong chord and speakers.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: NOS tube replacements for a 64 super reverb

Original RCA's would be a good, safe bet but Fender relied on a number of tube brands back in the day including Westinghouse, Raytheon, Sylvania, even (on occasion) Blaupunkt and Amperex. You'll spend a small fortune on bottles like those. Don't forget to check (and if necessary, adjust) the idle bias when replacing the power tubes. And avoid the long-plate types when selecting pre-amp tubes as they're prone to microphonics.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Re: NOS tube replacements for a 64 super reverb

You mentioned you took the amp to a tech, but you did not say whether he replaced the electrolytic capacitors, especially the filter capacitors in the "doghouse" (under the metal rectangular box on the tube side of the chassis). See the photo of my filter caps near the end of the "Let's see your amplifiers" thread. Electrolytic caps have a liquid inside and over the years it dries up, and/or leaks out and the result "can" be the cap going up in smoke, possibly taking out other components in your amp.

With an amp from that era, and considering its value, you should consider reliability over originality, although some "collectors" may disagree with that. Since you actually play the amp, rather than just admire it, my advice would be to have it thoroughly serviced.
    "When You're Riding Down the Highway at Night, And You're Feeling that Wild Turkey's Bite" ZZ Top