Thread: Martin. Why Be Different?

Martin. Why Be Different?

It turns out I'm not much of a Martin guitar fan. I own two, neither of which is a top-end instrument (D-28, O-18, etc), but still, I feel Martin's reputation for quality and workmanship deserves a nod.

So, I'm sad to report that I have had two recent experiences with Martin that leave me less than satisfied.

Having finally taken the stage, and learned that more often than not the venue is "all acoustic," I thought I'd pull out my OMC-15ME Streetmaster (in Weathered Red - a busker's guitar, in my opinion, which is why I bought it). I cleaned it up, tuned it and started to play. Oh yes, there's that sound that people talk about when they speak Martin, but the neck is wider than I like, and the guitar needs some relief. Still, I thought I'd take a whack at playing it, and wanted to see what it sounded like plugged in (that's another new trend I'm on: Acoustic-electric).

Whoops, no sound. I checked and found there was no battery in the guitar. Looking at the compartment, it appeared to fit two AA batteries, so I pulled out a fresh couple, and despite trying different configurations, no go. So, I went online and started a chat with Martin tech support. I mentioned my problem, and the first thing I was given was the address of two authorized Martin repair shops. No Q&A, no attempt at root cause analysis, so I nearly disconnected, but I mentioned the two AA batteries, and all of a sudden the tech told me the guitar used a 9v. Oh. I had one, put it in and problem solved!

Given that I was less than impressed with Martin's desire to be helpful, I'm now faced with another issue which should be simple to remedy, but I'm at a loss: How to apply neck relief.

The Martin, like my Taylors, has an inset hole just in front of the sound hole and below the body. This is where I've inserted an Allen wrench to turn the truss rod in the neck to loosen/tighten it. My problem: None of my Allen wrenches finds purchase. I have three that are specifically meant for guitar truss rods, yet none of the seat into head of the truss rod.

Does Martin not use an Allen head? I can't tell by looking at their web site, which is bereft of technical support and information, and I'm not keen on starting another chat session with a tech. Does anyone here know? If I can apply just a bit of relief, my opinion of this guitar could change from "It's on my sell list" to "Wowza! It's a keeper!"
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Re: Martin. Why Be Different?

Martin uses a 5mm hex key. A really, really long one.

Re: Martin. Why Be Different?

So out of the four hex wrenches I have (three that came with a guitar "tuning kit") none of them fit! I guess tomorrow I'll head over to my LGS. They are a retailer from MusicNomad, so maybe I'll pick up another.

Alternately, if the cost is cheaper, I'll have them change the strings a set up the guitar there.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!