Thread: Sunday, Sunday, Sunday, November 21

Sunday, Sunday, Sunday, November 21

It's a short week for my U. S. brethren, as most will take off Thursday and Friday to celebrate Thanksgiving. Many companies, mine included, will actually close business on noon on Wednesday, so I don't expect to get much work done Monday and Tuesday.

Just as well, I think, as I can spend a little more time practicing for my debut performance Tuesday evening. I'm feeling pretty good about the songs I've chosen, I put new strings on my guitar (good thing I bought two sets; the bottom E on the first set unwound on me, so I went to the second set. Now I have five spare strings I'm not sure what to do with.

Last night my I had dinner with my daughter and grandkids (son-in-law is away for the weekend) and then we went for a drive through a seasonal Festival of Lights. I enjoyed the time with them, although I left my hat at the restaurant. Sigh.

A typical laid-back Sunday in store for me. I cleared leaves and yard waste yesterday morning, so as usual, my back needs the rest. Here's hoping everyone has a wonderful pre-Thanksgiving Sunday!
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Re: Sunday, Sunday, Sunday, November 21

You know,the problem with being retired is my week consists of six Saturdays and a Sunday so when the holidays come around it feels like just another day. With the passing of my mother in June (today she would have been 102) it just leaves my wife and I with no big meals to cook so we’ll do our Thanksgiving dinner at a local dinner club. It is one of those things that comes with age.

Hope all have a great week.

We're celebrating Thanksgiving at my aunt's today- the first since my uncle died earlier this year. My father's long time partner died on December 26th last year, so that will have an effect on the holidays this year. Family is changing, and not all for the better.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    You know,the problem with being retired is my week consists of six Saturdays and a Sunday so when the holidays come around it feels like just another day.
    +1!
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Busy weekend here - been puppysitting my in-laws dog for the weekend. The kiddo loves it, but he's an active sort - won't go anywhere without his ball and always wants you to throw it. On top of the glamorous part of dogs, being walking the thing - 6:30 this morning he's scratching at the door wanting to go out.
    Clearing the leaves and bagging them for the second? Third? time this fall yesterday, today was finishing up and running the lawnmower one last time for the season - more to chop whatever leaves are left over than actually cutting grass.
    Got dough prepping for homemade pizzas tonight for dinner.
    Cracking a beer in a couple minutes.
    At least the Patriots played the other night, so |I don't have to worry about that, just checking in on my fantasy team here and there. |Nothing I can do about them at this point, so I just watch how they're doing.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

I can't believe it's been a month already since i put down my sawzall and sledghammer and the dumpster was hauled away. I've been putting off the cleanup because I know how nasty the mess is. I ordered a 25 foot vacuum hose so I can put the machine outside a cellar window and keep the dust with the mouse poop from getting all airborne again.

While I was downstairs evaluating the situation, I checked the gas line from the meter. Turns out we have a gas dryer, news to both my brother and I. Also found that the gas stove used to be against the back wall where it undoubtedly had a proper vent to the outside, a feature it is currently lacking. You can see the grease permanently infused in the cabinet doors above the stove. What were they thinking when they did this? I can't bring myself to do any cooking on it.

So that pretty much put the kabosh on any hors d'oeuvre from me for thanksgiving at my niece's house. I bought a pecan pie and just now realized I forgot the whipped cream. Back to the store tomorrow
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Spent the whole day watching Yellowstone with my wife while my stepdaughter was doing college entrance exams.

Man, I miss my daughter. Can’t wait to be with her again, later this week. Everytime I see her she seems taller and older. Not easy to be a divorced dad.

Just finished a video call with my singer, we were working on my first song and his. Hopefully we’ll be releasing singles soon.

Other than that, I’m still pretty excited about being a registered practical shooter again, and training a lot.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    Other than that, I’m still pretty excited about being a registered practical shooter again, and training a lot.
    To defray your ammo costs you might consider getting into reloading (if it's permitted in Brazil). Here in the US the price per round for any credible caliber is now exceeding 25¢ at many stores.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

!

I worked a hectic shift at the shoe store. I've enjoyed this job so much, and I've learned so much about working outside of academis. I can tell when former colleagues see me, they think, "O my, he's stooped awfully low." Well my parents taught me that there's honor in doing a good job wherever you work. That's what I did for 30 years as a prof. That's what I've been doing at the shoe store. Before I leave, I hope to fix up our rather large men's section. I'm grateful to my boss for taking a chance on this nerd, and I want to leave the store looking good as good as I can. I'm going to miss that place. But the pay is not a livable wage.

I've been throwing out resumés all over my area. Then, I decided, all I want to do is sell coffee now, if I can't sell guitars for a decent wage. So I searched around the area, and to my surprise, an LLC is buying a franchise of Scooter's Coffee, and to be brief, I signed their offer. I travel to Des Moines and then Omaha next weeked for 3 weeks of intensive training. I'm beyond thrilled that I'll get barista training.

Sergio knows how much I love coffee!
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison