Thread: Klaus Voormann

Klaus Voormann

I've been a Beatles freak for so long, I sometimes forget what is common knowledge and what is known too by casual-ish fans.

Are you guys familiar with the Hamburg-era Beatles friend Klaus Voormann who wound up playing bass on much of John, George, and Ringo's early solo stuff? I'm pretty sure we've talked about him here. . I think I mentioned one time that he probably had as much influence on my playing as Macca. Probably true about Leon Wilkerson, John Woloshuk (Klaatu), and Dee Murray as well.

Voorman is an interesting artist--he did the covers for Revolver and much later, the Anthology series albums. He's a super modest guy and one of the greatest and most under-appreciated bassists of the 60s and 70s.

Perhaps his greatest non-Beatle moment is those opening bass riffs on Carly Simon's "Your So Vain" which is a fun song for a bassist to play.

If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Klaus Voormann

There was a time when Voorman's name was popping up everywhere. Although I've never heard it, he released an album (apparently the last work to receive public attention) in 2009 named A Sideman's Journey. How fitting.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Re: Klaus Voormann

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    There was a time when Voorman's name was popping up everywhere. Although I've never heard it, he released an album (apparently the last work to receive public attention) in 2009 named A Sideman's Journey. How fitting.

I recently found a playlist on Spotify of his different sessions--incredible how many huge hits he's played on. He's just not thought of when anyone talks bassists. I probably knicked half of his licks.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison