Thread: Tim Henson on ‘boomer bends’

Tim Henson on ‘boomer bends’

I had a laugh when I read this. Boomer bends… Anyway, it’s nice that kids are playing guitar their own way and making their own guitar music, whatever that is.

https://www.guitarworld.com/features...bends-backlash

Re: Tim Henson on ‘boomer bends’

Call me clueless, but I read that article and I stilll have no idea what "boomer-bends" means.
    |I'll watch the video when |I get a chance, to see if it explains more...
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

Quote Originally Posted by jrgtr42 View Post
    Call me clueless, but I read that article and I stilll have no idea what "boomer-bends" means.
    |I'll watch the video when |I get a chance, to see if it explains more...

It’s how they’re calling those bluesy bends that you can distinctively identify in guitar music made by baby boomers, guys who were born around the mid to late 40s and were kicking ass in the 60s/70s

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    It’s how they’re calling those bluesy bends that you can distinctively identify in guitar music made by baby boomers, guys who were born around the mid to late 40s and were kicking ass in the 60s/70s
    That's what rock guitar is -- rationalizations to the contrary are merely a slacker's alibi for lack of proficiency with one's instrument.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    That's what rock guitar is -- rationalizations to the contrary are merely a slacker's alibi for lack of proficiency with one's instrument.

Though I agree (and I do: most of what I play and enjoy listening to is precisely that kind of guitar playing), I like the fact that younger guys than me are playing guitar their own way, not just programming iPhones to mimic music…

However, the biggest mistake these youngsters make is to think they’re actually innovating. Guitar music without bends and bluesy licks? Uh… punk rock has been around since the seventies.

Well, shit. I'm a Gen-xer and |I play those bends all the time. Pretty much every band I listen to uses them, from the classic rock stuff (I guess that's who he's mostly disparaging.) to just about any modern band, except those who play too fast to do it (actually, I think Polyphia and Animals as Leaders pretty much fall into that catagory...)
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

Quote Originally Posted by jrgtr42 View Post
    Well, shit. I'm a Gen-xer and |I play those bends all the time. Pretty much every band I listen to uses them, from the classic rock stuff (I guess that's who he's mostly disparaging.) to just about any modern band, except those who play too fast to do it (actually, I think Polyphia and Animals as Leaders pretty much fall into that catagory...)
    Proud Gen-Xer here too. Born in the 70s and trying to be true to that decade, probably the last one that allowed us to be born with a minimum of childhood and teenage freedom of thought…

Didn't watch, but I think the bend dichotomy is hilarious in a way because the Indie I hear hardy ever has solos, and if it does, there are no bend-y licks. And I have to add, these players are not bad; their playing could never be void of blues and rock and country, but these players have different ways of thinking about the guitar.

Having said that, I'm a few months from 60, and I'll f'in bend when the song calls for it; and I'll f'in not bend when the song says, "No bends."
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Pretty sure Chuck Berry was the first one I hear doing bends in rock, but country guys were doing it in the 50's. It's a country thing that made it to rock and blues. Double stops too.
    Last edited by Offshore Angler; 11-19-2021 at 01:30 PM.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Angler View Post
    Pretty sure Chuck Berry was the first one I hear doing bends in rock, but country guys were doing it in the 50's. It's a country thing that made it to rock and blues. Double stops too.

Yeah, people build trends and novelties out of nothing new. Anyway, like I said: as long as these 20 year old kids are making and releasing their own music on actual musical instruments instead of using phone apps to mimic music, it’s all right: let them do it.

Yeah, people build trends and novelties out of nothing new. Anyway, like I said: as long as these 20 year old kids are making and releasing their own music on actual musical instruments instead of using phone apps to mimic music, it’s all right: let them do it.
    ......Or "sampling" for instrumental accompaniment and programmable auto-tune to tidy up off-key vocals.

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    ......Or "sampling" for instrumental accompaniment and programmable auto-tune to tidy up off-key vocals.

Exactly. Ugh…

It's not so much about having talent and skills these days as it is about "being famous."

I recently heard a rising singer talking all about being famous and everyone getting to know who she is, but there wasn't a word about her honing her craft, no word about artistry, just a desire to be famous.

When that's your goal, you don't give a shit about craft and might as well give an award to your auto-tuner.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    It's not so much about having talent and skills these days as it is about "being famous."

I recently heard a rising singer talking all about being famous and everyone getting to know who she is, but there wasn't a word about her honing her craft, no word about artistry, just a desire to be famous.

When that's your goal, you don't give a shit about craft and might as well give an award to your auto-tuner.
    +1

It's all about "hits" on Twitter and Facebook.