Thread: Setlist? And then some

Setlist? And then some

Alright gang, I am about to take a big step (for me). Having found a club that features an open mic night every Tuesday (with some exceptions) I've decided to take a giant leap and step onstage. I'll only have time for about two songs, so I'm working on several (in case someone before me plays one, I'll have a backup). Here are the songs I'm practicing. Not being a fan of the capo, I've chosen songs that don't make me strain my vocal cords.

• Roll With the Flow (Michael Nesmith)
    • Six Hours Ahead of the Sun (Steve Goodman)
    • Darlin' If (Randy California/Spirit)
    • My Love Comes In Colors (Love)
    • Orange Skies (Love)

It's okay if you're not familiar with the songs. In fact, I'd almost prefer it (I have an odd desire to present material that is new to the audience). But if you know any, what are your opinions of my choices? Remember, I will only be able to perform two.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Re: Setlist? And then some

Pretty cool songs. I’m guessing you’ll play them alone, on an acoustic guitar, right?

Yes. I'm working on the bridges to add interest so I'm not just filling with chord changes. Some of them have some lead fills, but more than anything, I have to work on timekeeping and keeping my voice in tune.

Striving to be ordinary

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    ...but more than anything, I have to work on timekeeping and keeping my voice in tune.
    Why?

Willie Nelson and Bob Dylan don't.

"When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Yes. I'm working on the bridges to add interest so I'm not just filling with chord changes. Some of them have some lead fills, but more than anything, I have to work on timekeeping and keeping my voice in tune.

Oh, and don’t get me wrong: I like your gig plans. I thought of it being an acoustic solo act because of the songs you chose and the open mic venue. It’s actually something I’d love to do but unfortunately I can’t sing. My voice sucks and I just can’t…

I’m sure you’ll have a lot of fun, especially if you keep in mind that you’re stepping onto that stage to have fun, not to be a perfect timekeeper and tune nailer. Be prepared, know your songs, but relax and just play.

When I started gigging I was too concerned about my own performance and each little mistake I made was like a disaster to me. The audience hardly noticed and I lost several opportunities to have tons of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    Oh, and don’t get me wrong: I like your gig plans. I thought of it being an acoustic solo act because of the songs you chose and the open mic venue. It’s actually something I’d love to do but unfortunately I can’t sing. My voice sucks and I just can’t…

I’m sure you’ll have a lot of fun, especially if you keep in mind that you’re stepping onto that stage to have fun, not to be a perfect timekeeper and tune nailer. Be prepared, know your songs, but relax and just play.

When I started gigging I was too concerned about my own performance and each little mistake I made was like a disaster to me. The audience hardly noticed and I lost several opportunities to have tons of fun.

Yes, that's good advice, and it's the attitude I'm holding onto. I've gone too many years not attempting this, and I'm not getting any younger. In fact, I've reached the age where I've pretty much stopped giving a sh#t about what people think of me.

The songs I've chosen (pretty much in the order I hope to play them -- the first two, that is) I can pretty well sing because well, let's face it, neither of the original artists was a top singer. I like their songs, and they sing pretty much in the same register I do, so I'm not concerned about my voice cracking or losing pitch. Darlin' If has some stretch to it, but if I'm not feeling the higher notes, I can always just drop them an octave. Arthur Lee (Love) also wasn't a great singer, and most of his songs are a lot of doggerel, but his chord changes appeal to me, so that's why they're on the list. I'll probably have to save the last three for another time.
    Striving to be ordinary

I would say play the ones that you are strongest with on the first show. That will add confidence and authority.

That said - I Hope you have a GREAT time!!!
    See if someone will get even a phone video just so you can see it later for an honest evaluation for you.
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Quote Originally Posted by FrankJohnson View Post
    I would say play the ones that you are strongest with on the first show. That will add confidence and authority.

That said - I Hope you have a GREAT time!!!
    See if someone will get even a phone video just so you can see it later for an honest evaluation for you.
    Good idea, thank you! I spotted a number of "videographers" at the last show. I'll try to talk one into risking his camera on me.
    Striving to be ordinary

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Since COVID, we’ve been videotaping all live shows. What’s it has shown me:
    place where I thought there were clams were good. Places I didn’t even notice, yep got a 1/32 off the beat.
    It’s a great feedback tool when done correctly
    Mark

How did the job go?

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    How did the job go?

If you're asking me, I don't go on until next Tuesday. This week was a concert by a featured headliner. I went and enjoyed the show (there were four intro numbers performed by some of the "regulars," but I wouldn't have been one of them even if I'd known). I'm still rehearsing my songs and will attempt to get on the performers list then.
    Striving to be ordinary