Thread: Boo! It's the Halloween Sunday Thread

Boo! It's the Halloween Sunday Thread

Yes, that's right. This was the evening when kids all across North America would don costumes of their favorite superheroes, demons, goblins and such and parade around neighborhoods begging for candy treats. I say "was" because thanks to COVID and in some places, political correctness, this practice has all but disappeared.

Still, the candy flew off the shelves, so if not out trick-or-treating, the sweet are being handed out in parties or other events that would make the COVID police gasp in horror.

Me? I'm debating staying at home and servicing the few that might ring my bell, but there's also a parade I have been invited to walk in (one mile) and I can just toss candy to bystanders. I like the exercise, so I'm seriously considering it.

This week is another training week for me, with Tuesday being the outlier. I'm taking off Tuesday to serve as an elections officer (I live in Virginia, where the saying is we like elections so much we hold them every year). I worked as a poll watcher yesterday for early/absentee voting, and the turnout was tremendous. It was noted that yesterday alone, over 2% of the electorate voted. There's a lot of interest in the elections this year.

Last week and now this week, my attendance at the open mic night is foeststalled, so I'm just working on my material (and nerve) preparing myself for the night I do get to it.

So, other than Halloween, it's a regular Sunday for me. How about for you?
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Re: Boo! It's the Halloween Sunday Thread

Sunny windy Sunday here. Having my usual 3rd mug of coffee.

Had a busy Saturday. Spent the morning with my father at the range. Did pretty well as I restarted practicing with a .45

Picked up my wife on the way to the old folks’s and we all had Spanish octopus for lunch (I thought of you, Chuck. I know you like it too).

Loaded the car with my gear and went to the studio, where I spent the afternoon trying my new rig at gigging volume (btw I really liked the Morley wah and the EHX phaser!!) and working on a song I’m writing. Verse, chorus and bridge are done. Lyrics too. I’ll think of a solo for it and voilà: it’ll be time to teach it to my band mates.

Nice, Serge.

i'm sitting on my screened in porch, and the sun is making everything golden except the shadows and the clear and blue sky. I'm wearing four layers of thick cotten shirt, robes, and jacket. It's 48°.

I have to work from 11-6. Retail. I like it.

I need a good coffee bean, strong but not bitter. Any suggestions?

Phase one of getting my humble studio ready.

I'm also seriously considering going to work for DISH. I think I'll be an effective sales dude there. No cold calling.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Hope everyone is well - got lots of candy - or at least got to give some out!
    Had a sound gig for a Halloween party at a local place - went well - lots of people and costumes....etc....

Today - last gig for the season at one of our local places - outside show. Last gig with one of my favorite players in the regular band lineup. He will still play time to time but not regularly.
    I guess some solace in that.

weather is getting cooler quickly, and the leaves are falling - the sun shines one more day and I will take it in.
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

it finally stopped raining. I need to get out and walk. I've put on 2 pounds since Wednesday just because I'm not moving a zillion pounds of crap into a big metal box. I swear I have the metabolism of a paving stone, I do not eat (or drink) that much. I think we're going to get a treadmill for the basement, especially if I don't get a car on the road soon.

Today I take all the hardware off the neck and give it a good cleaning and polishing, then reload it. Still waiting for a shipping notice from my eBay seller about the block. I'm normally patient but this project has been bugging me.

Tomorrow I start cleaning up in the cellar. After multiple rounds of sweeping and then vacuuming, I'm going to scrub down the walls and sill plate with soapy water. I'm probably going to have to get an angle grinder after all. Some of those nails aren't snapping off when hit with a hammer. I want this done before I start setting up guitar stuff and playing down there regularly. The memory of the filth I uncovered during demolition is still way too fresh in my mind.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    Spent the morning with my father at the range. Did pretty well as I restarted practicing with a .45
    Nice shooting, Sérgio! What distance were you shooting from?

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    working on a song I’m writing. Verse, chorus and bridge are done. Lyrics too. I’ll think of a solo for it and voilà: it’ll be time to teach it to my band mates.
    And post a copy of it here!
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Nice shooting, Sérgio! What distance were you shooting from?

And post a copy of it here!

7 meters (23 ft?).

I’ll show you all the song as soon as it’s finished!

Chillin' on a Halloween afternoon here. Finally stopped raining after a week or so...
    Went for a run this morning, had a halloween thing at the kiddo's school this afternoon, only inturrupted by a brief shower. No big deal there.
    PLanning on hanging out with the other houses in the cul-de-sac later on, get some pizza, light the firepit and have a few cold ones while we welcome the little ghosts, goblins, minions, pokemons etc.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

Haven’t been here for a bit because our house has been very disrupted for the last few weeks as a result of a remodel project. The kitchen, patio door, family room bar, and two upstairs bathrooms have all been involved. The kitchen and bathrooms were all totally gutted so with just the install of the bathroom fixtures and kitchen appliances remaining we’re nearly at the end.

We took a brisk ride on the Harley this morning leaving the house with overcast skies and 41° Returning three hours later with 47° and partly cloudy skies. It was nice to get away from the construction to clear the head a bit.

Hope all had a great Sunday.

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Today was my last gig for a while as I prepare to move. Getting ready to list the house. Goin to make a run up there with a load of instruments to put into temp storage. ((Not going to trust them with the movers). I’ll prep another pre-move trip a couple weeks later.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by blackonblack View Post
    Today was my last gig for a while as I prepare to move. Getting ready to list the house. Goin to make a run up there with a load of instruments to put into temp storage. ((Not going to trust them with the movers). I’ll prep another pre-move trip a couple weeks later.
    I wouldn’t trust movers myself, just like you.

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

I am trusting them with my baby grand piano. That is once I have it crated up by a piano mover.
    Mark

I'd have to trust them with a piano, because there ain't no way I'm moving it myself. My guitar stuff, yeah, nobody touches that. I put it into storage until I was able to unload it when we got a house.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"