Thread: Fender 68 Custom Pro Reverb

Forum Member

Fender 68 Custom Pro Reverb

I've had my Fender 68 Custom Pro Reverb for three months now. I bought it because it is the perfect combination of features: 40 watts, 1x12 speaker, lightweight at 35 lbs, all tube including reverb and trem. No other amp combines all these features. The only issue is that it was designed with a very low amount of negative feedback so it breaks up at around 5.5 on the volume control. I want a classic Fender amp that stays clean pretty much to the top.

I thought it would be easy to increase the negative feedback - usually it's just changing a resistor or two. But in this case the resistor is not in the output section where you would normally find it and Fender does not provide a schematic for the 68 CPR. I tried emailing Fender but they refuse to help in any way, saying that it's "proprietary information". Whoever heard of such a thing?? Fender has always published their schematics.

So I am hoping that maybe someone here may have access to the schematic and would be willing to share it. Anyone?

Re: Fender 68 Custom Pro Reverb

that is weird, proprietary information my foot. Hopefully some of our amp gurus here can help.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

What are the preamp tubes? If they're 12AX7, try a lower gain tube like 12AY7 or 12AT7.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jrgtr42 View Post
    What are the preamp tubes? If they're 12AX7, try a lower gain tube like 12AY7 or 12AT7.
    Good suggestion. It's the typical Fender setup so yes P1 is a 12AX7. I did replace it with a 12AT7 and that helped a lot. At least the gain jump is not so abrupt and I can take the volume up a couple more notches before it starts to break up, however I think I end up with less overall volume at the top of the scale. The 12AT7 makes my 40 watts sound more like a 22 watt DR.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by TDub View Post
    ...however I think I end up with less overall volume at the top of the scale.
    Your perception is correct. Replacing V1 with a lower-gain tube will reduce the overall power potential of the platform. Accessing the amp's full (clean) forty-watt output really requires modifying its global feedback circuit. If loud/clean is a priority you might consider trading the amp for one of Fender's Tone Master Twin Reverb or Super Reverb models.

As for FMIC's egregiously derelict customer support I'll only say this......

LET'S GO BRANDON!
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

TFF Stage Crew

Lol

It shouldn't be too hard to find the resistor. Can you post a clear pic of the PCB?