Thread: Done with social media

Done with social media

Ok, not entirely, as we ought to be aware of what’s going on there, at least.

But I’m closing all my personal accounts. Instagram is already gone. Facebook is next. I’m keeping only the band accounts I manage along with the drummer.

I think I reached a limit and I’m sick of spending so much time staring at screens. Cell phone, computer, TV. Damn, this pandemic made me watch more TV than I did in the past 20 years. And all my working hours are spent in front of a computer. Even court hearings are taking place via Zoom and Cisco Webex.

In my leisure time I’ll stick to TFF and the band accounts. Besides, the band will start planning rehearsals and gigs at last. Can’t wait to hit the road again.

I feel free.

Re: Done with social media

I'm right there with you, Sérgio. I never had an Instagram, Reddit or WhatsApp account. I had a Twitter account because I needed to use it to demo how a social media credential could be used with the software my company produces. I've since deleted it (it seems our customers didn't care for that, anyway). I dropped Facebook last year (I deactivated my account, but didn't delete it entirely, because there are relatives I still want to keep in touch with. But I go for weeks without landing there, and when I do, it's hit-and-run.

You know what? I don't miss it/them. I didn't think I spent a lot of time there, and probably didn't the way some people do, but there's no little voice in the back of my head whispering, "Go. Log on. You know you want to..."
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

never liked the idea of social media from the start, even resisted having a cellphone until 2007. I signed up for Facebook once, in 2009 in an attempt to find my old lead guitarist. Never found him and nothing good came from contaminating my previously spam free email account.

F**k Zuckerberg.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

I don’t go as far as you guys. I enjoyed social media for a while, before this shit practically took over. The Internet now is driven by these platforms. And that made me back off.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

I've never had a smart phone. I don't even have a dumb one. And I find no reason to squander away my remaining time on this rock for the likes of fakebook, twatter, instagrime, snapcrap or any of the other social-media platforms. I visit a few forums via my laptop and I have a jurassic-era land-line telephone. That's it.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    I've never had a smart phone. I don't even have a dumb one. And I find no reason to squander away my remaining time on this rock for the likes of fakebook, twatter, instagrime, snapcrap or any of the other social-media platforms. I visit a few forums via my laptop and I have a jurassic-era land-line telephone. That's it.

I understand, respect and envy that.

Me, I had to give in because working bands need the online exposure if they want to conquer new venues these days, and the Internet has become the new electricity: even legal work depends on it now (at least here, lawsuits are all digital here).

I made the mistake of letting it invade my own personal space. Accounts, groups, I even tried to bring some friends over so I could keep in touch, as most of the others were already there. Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

Anyway, I’m keeping the professional links but that’s about it.

I half-jokingly say that I think the world actually did end in Y2 (2000). After that, we were thrown into a disgusting parallel universe where everything is upside-down, inside-out and backwards-forwards. Now, nearly a quarter of a century later, a small number of people are waking up to that. I'm hoping that a return to sanity might occur sometime while I'm still breathing.

I'm not real optimistic about that, but if one doesn't have hope, what is left?
    Striving to be ordinary

Social media is the way the masses are controlled by those in power. And we all gladly pay for it ourselves. The greatest threat the world has ever known.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Tele-Bob View Post
    Social media is the way the masses are controlled by those in power. And we all gladly pay for it ourselves. The greatest threat the world has ever known.
    Yes, and many people seem to find some kind of escape from the real world in that stuff. One thing we can't deny, it's kind of addictive. I've never used it to pretend I'm someone I'm not, but I plead guilty about letting it take too much of my time.

Instagram is gone for good, and I'm getting ready to ditch facebook too.

Forums are much more civilized... just like lightsabers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    Forums are much more civilized... just like lightsabers.

Well, I have mixed feelings about forums. I like TFF partly because it's small enough to stay current with the different threads. Some of the other guitar forums (no, make that most of the other guitar forums) have so much traffic that the signal-to-noise ratio becomes overwhelming. Same thing with gun forums. Car forums. Fitness forums...

Perhaps I'm OCD about this. I can't stay on a site for long. I read, reply, then move on.
    Striving to be ordinary

I understand what you are talking about. Still, I don't think closing your social accounts is the best thing to do in your situation. If you don't want to sit by yourself on social platforms, why don't you hire someone to do this job for you? There are many good companies like https:/.com/ providing services in this field. Visit their website, and I am sure you will find a way to solve your problem there.
    Last edited by Cogs; 10-23-2021 at 03:31 PM.