Thread: FX on 80s Fretless Basses

FX on 80s Fretless Basses

One of my fave players, Pino Palladino, plays such wonderful licks, and I'm a great fan of his work on Paul Young's version of Daryl Hall's "Everytime You Go Away" and other songs on Young's albums.

Nevermind the goofy video. What FX does Pino use on this track? I hear the same on the last two Floyd albums, which had Gilmour and Guy Pratt on bass.

Chorus and delay? What thinkest thou?
    Last edited by ch willie; 10-14-2021 at 02:16 PM.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: FX on 80s Fretless Basses

This "Gear Rundown" article mentions the following, "Pedals: Boss OC-2 Octave Pedal -- Palladino used this as an integral part of his setup during the 1980’s in combination with his fretless bass playing. Others: Palladino uses as an array of other pedals, some notable units used during recent years with The Who are: Analog Alien Alien Bass Station, compressor, distortion, amp emulator and MXR Bass Octave effect. Pedal Power II."

Re: FX on 80s Fretless Basses

Thanks, Ed. I have a feeling that the octave pedal is a key part to that sound. On another forum, someone confirmed that it's got chorus and delay, most likely from the engineer's work.

A year ago, a luthier took the neck of my 2012 AmStd Jazz bass, removed the frets, and so I have a wonderful fretless bass--I'm a lefty and I don't know if Fender EVER made a fretless lefty. It's a great bass. I dig Pino, and I've been listening a lot to songs and albums that have been Pino-ized. :)
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison