Thread: Fame

Fame

I really don't want to start a flame war here, so if I inadvertently step on your toes, please accept my apologies; it isn't intentional.

By way of prefix, I want to say that I saw a meme today that read, "Aging is the process of knowing who fewer and fewer of the Famous People are."

With that in mind, I am scratching my head over Britney Spears. Oh, I know the name, and I vaguely recall she had a hit single (?) called something like, "Oops, I Did It Again." As you can see, I'm not even real clear on her history. What I know is that her name keeps appearing on the news headlines, whether I care or not.

So, my question really comes down to: Is Britney Spears really that talented? Should I really care if her father is pond scum, or that she's got mental problems, or any of that other scandal-sheet stuff?

Yes, I know the muckrakers like to highlight the "rich and beautiful," likely because it sells, but honestly, should I care?

If you've read my posts and my "What are you listening to" responses, you can probably tell that I tend to stay with the music I learned decades ago (I actually listen to a lot of new music, but it doesn't fall into the "well-known" or "playable" category, so I avoid mentioning it). Modern pop/country -- even jazz -- has little attraction for me.

I guess the older I get, the less I know who the new artists are. And some of that's a shame, because periodically I listen to the stuff you post here, and like a lot of it!

Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Re: Fame

I honestly don’t know. Pop divas are a musical niche that never got me interested since Madonna and Tina Turner, the last ones I’ve enjoyed listening to.

Looking into my rearview mirror, I never paid much attention to these vocal artists whose backing musicians are just backing musicians and the show is kinda artificial. I liked Justin Timberlake’s Vegas gig but that’s about it.

Tight, talented bands in general are what I’m into.

That said, maybe this girl is good. Autotune, playback and a lot of hype and makeup aside, who knows? She may be.

Britney is a product that's been in the system ever since she was knee high to a pup. She came up through the Disney ranks and that right there probably explains a lot of her mental issues. A firm grasp of reality has likely never been in her hand. Pile on top of that the exploitation she has gone through. She's constantly in the news because a flaming train wreck gets a lot of attention.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Britney Spears means less to me than the size, shape, color, and consistency of my turds.

Just another cultural pollutant IMO.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

TFF Stage Crew

If you think Britney Spears is "what all them young folks is into" then you are a little more behind the times than you thought. She's been around since the '90s & has been replaced several times over.
    In other news, the Beatles broke up

She "grew up" with kids of that late 80s-90s generation.

Pity they had her hunching and shaking her boobs when she was just 16--hit me baby one more time. Where was her father then?

Maybe she's sicker than we know and needs a conservator. You don't know shit about her and neither do I.

We tend to call people geniuses in our culture before they've done anything substantial. Where can Billie Eilish go after being 17 and declared a genius and new force--when there's nothing new or genius about the work? Look at what happened to all the "geniuses"--male or female--who were praised and praised and then dumped like yesterday's biscuits. People talked seriously in the 80s about the genius of Terence Trent D'arby (yeah, who is he?) and Milli Vanilli.

We live in an age of exaggeration--it's THE best, THE biggest, THE greatest, THE most incredible, etc.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by Cogs View Post
    If you think Britney Spears is "what all them young folks is into" then you are a little more behind the times than you thought. She's been around since the '90s & has been replaced several times over.
    In other news, the Beatles broke up

I mentioned Britney because she was the example that the OP gave… My post goes to all the pop singers that came afterwards. With the occasional exception, I couldn’t care less about that genre.

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    She "grew up" with kids of that late 80s-90s generation.

Pity they had her hunching and shaking her boobs when she was just 16--hit me baby one more time. Where was her father then?

Maybe she's sicker than we know and needs a conservator. You don't know shit about her and neither do I.

We tend to call people geniuses in our culture before they've done anything substantial. Where can Billie Eilish go after being 17 and declared a genius and new force--when there's nothing new or genius about the work? Look at what happened to all the "geniuses"--male or female--who were praised and praised and then dumped like yesterday's biscuits. People talked seriously in the 80s about the genius of Terence Trent D'arby (yeah, who is he?) and Milli Vanilli.

We live in an age of exaggeration--it's THE best, THE biggest, THE greatest, THE most incredible, etc.

We need a like button here

TFF Stage Crew

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    I mentioned Britney because she was the example that the OP gave… My post goes to all the pop singers that came afterwards. With the occasional exception, I couldn’t care less about that genre.
    I did not read that you mentioned Britney. My post was a reply to OldStrummer