Thread: Tonemaster Head and 2x12” Cab ?

Forum Member

Tonemaster Head and 2x12” Cab ?

Hi
    I have the chance to buy a used fender tone master 100w head and matching 2x12” cab,
    But the seller (he bought it used as well) and I have problems finding out how old it is, so hope someone here can help us as fended is not responding via e-mail.

The head says: 0841
    The cab: CR 265894

Also anyone who can see out of the serial number if this can is a v30 or greenback cab as I can see they came with both?

Best regards

Re: Tonemaster Head and 2x12” Cab ?

I'm no expert by any means on the subject of the Tonemaster head and cabs. However, I think based on your serial numbers, your head and cab are likely pre-97. I have perused my Fender product catalogs during the time of the run of the Tonemaster. The early catalogs say only that the cabs are loaded with Celestion speakers. The first mention of the availability of the Greenbacks is late 90's into the 2000's, indicating to me that Vintage 30s were the standard speaker at that time. So my opinion would be that you probably have Vintage 30s in the cab you are looking at. Wish I could be more helpful. You might try the TDPRI forum for further assistance. And if you can find a way to contact Bruce Zinky, I am sure he would have the information you are seeking. Good luck!

Edited to add:

The following information is contained in the Tonemaster factory manual regarding the speaker cabs and the speakers in them:

COMPANION ENCLOSURES-
    With 4 12” Celestion® “Vintage 30” speakers- 081-3001-000
    With 2-12” Celestion “Classic Lead“ (G-12-80) speakers- 081-3000-000
    With 2-12” Celestion “Vintage 30” speakers- 081-3003-000

I would think then, that either speaker was available in the 2X12 cab from the get go. This makes it nearly impossible to tell which speakers are in the 2X12 cab you are looking at without removing the back panel.
    Last edited by BobbyMac; 10-02-2021 at 09:11 AM.
    Born in Fullerton, California in 1952

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyMac View Post
    I'm no expert by any means on the subject of the Tonemaster head and cabs. However, I think based on your serial numbers, your head and cab are likely pre-97. I have perused my Fender product catalogs during the time of the run of the Tonemaster. The early catalogs say only that the cabs are loaded with Celestion speakers. The first mention of the availability of the Greenbacks is late 90's into the 2000's, indicating to me that Vintage 30s were the standard speaker at that time. So my opinion would be that you probably have Vintage 30s in the cab you are looking at. Wish I could be more helpful. You might try the TDPRI forum for further assistance. And if you can find a way to contact Bruce Zinky, I am sure he would have the information you are seeking. Good luck!

Edited to add:

The following information is contained in the Tonemaster factory manual regarding the speaker cabs and the speakers in them:

COMPANION ENCLOSURES-
    With 4 12” Celestion® “Vintage 30” speakers- 081-3001-000
    With 2-12” Celestion “Classic Lead“ (G-12-80) speakers- 081-3000-000
    With 2-12” Celestion “Vintage 30” speakers- 081-3003-000

I would think then, that either speaker was available in the 2X12 cab from the get go. This makes it nearly impossible to tell which speakers are in the 2X12 cab you are looking at without removing the back panel.

Thank you so much for your reply:)

Would you happen to know if it requires some sort of special channel footswitch to toggle between the two channels?
    The foot switch was not included as the previous owner lost it some how…. I tried a Marshall Switcher but it didn’t work
    Have seen there are fender switches with different buttons and in different forms but I need one that only switches between the channels as there’s no reverb of vibe to engage.

Best regards
    Torben

Torben

Here's the Fender footswitch for the Tonemaster head.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/13385772347...AAAOSwKHVhJFWm

The part number is 099-4054-000.
    Last edited by BobbyMac; 10-04-2021 at 06:53 AM.
    Born in Fullerton, California in 1952