Thread: NAD: Dr. Z Monza!

NAD: Dr. Z Monza!

This just followed me home! It's a 2011 Monza 1x10" combo with a master volume control on the back.

I had played a Monza when it came out and found the volume to be uncontrollable. Since my more recent experience with the Cure, Nova, and Z Wreck Jr, I wanted to check out a Monza with a master.

This one showed up locally at a great price! It's in very good shape and sounds awesome! My first impression was that it was a very dark amp. Then I realized that the tone control on my guitar had been bumped low. The "Billy in a Box" comment is accurate, but doesn't reflect the amp's nice clean sound and even dirtier sounds. I'm very impressed with how it cleans up from the guitar (and I've owned a Z Wreck jr).
    As a blues/rock player and this amp should fit the bill!

Last edited by Don; 09-25-2021 at 01:34 PM.

Re: NAD: Dr. Z Monza!

Here's a pic of the rear of the amp showing the Eminance Red Fang alnico speaker and master volume control.

[/url]

I take it that the master volume is a mod, I wonder what kind?
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    I take it that the master volume is a mod, I wonder what kind?
    It looks like a LarMar PPIMV- a dual gang 250k pot with 2.2 meg resistors. It was an upgrade done by Dr. Z. It works very well. I couldn't use this amp without it. Back when I tried one without a master about 10 years ago, the volume came on at 9:00 and was too loud at 9:15!

Pretty cool, Don. I read that it has an actual tube rectifier, which is pretty rare among modern amps. EL84s in the power section, right? What tubes does it have on the preamp? I couldn't find info on that particular model.

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    Pretty cool, Don. I read that it has an actual tube rectifier, which is pretty rare among modern amps. EL84s in the power section, right? What tubes does it have on the preamp? I couldn't find info on that particular model.
    It's not unusual for Dr. Z to incorporate a tube rectifier.

It has two 12AX7s in the preamp.

I'd like to trace the circuit (not to copy- out of curiosity). looking at it quickly, I think I see a Fender Brown Deluxe 6G3 preamp with a Vox-like power amp- two EL84s, cathode biased with no negative feedback.
    Last edited by Don; 09-26-2021 at 01:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    It's not unusual for Dr. Z to incorporate a tube rectifier.

It has two 12AX7s in the preamp.

I'd like to trace the circuit (not to copy- out of curiosity). looking at it quickly, I think I see a Fender Brown Deluxe 6G3 preamp with a Vox-like power amp- two EL84s, cathode biased with no negative feedback.

Good to know, many builders stick to SS rectifiers, though this is more of a matter of preference.

pretty tight little amp! Congrats!

This amp is the sound of early '70s rock in your home- I was just playing some James Gang! Don't be fooled by its small size and good master volume control- it's still loud as heck- basement, not bedroom volume! It'll function at bedroom volume, but won't sound its best.

Dr. Z amps has verified that they serviced the amp in 2016 and that Don installed the PPIMV on the back of the amp.
    Last edited by Don; 09-30-2021 at 07:08 PM.