Thread: I miss the -not so- old days

I miss the -not so- old days

Man, pardon me for being in a sentimental mood today. But I've been through a lot lately. Cut me some slack if you guys can.

But I think I have earned a card to say this: I want TFF back.

I fell in love with this forum the very moment I came across it for the first time, about Christmas time 2014. I had bought my first American Fender.

Damn, why don't we all just gather 'round the fire and enjoy being here? I mean it's a hell out there. My family nearly died. I got affected and thank God my wife, daughter and stepdaughter didn't. I nearly lost my parents. Shitstorm level crazy times.

Some of us are elsewhere. Facebook or whatever. Some aren't and won't go there.

Why just let this sink and die, after all the times we made efforts to keep the place going? I gave money. Many did. That was the least important part, IMHO. This is about love.

Been thinking a lot about the meaning of everything lately, still recovering from a diagnosed Covid related PTSD and the conclusion I came to is that what really matters are the people we befriend and love.

Anyway. Just saying. I wouldn't want to see TFF go totally stale, and I miss every one of you guys who have been keeping it alive.

Why not just forget politics, stop standing our own grounds and doing whatever else is driving members away? Why not just coming back and posting about whatever we're doing, just because we do like each other's interactions? Please, guys: let's stick together. And bring Chuck back (even Telebob is back for Christ's sake).

Other forums and social media just don't do the trick, because we're friends here and it just doesn't make sense to lose that.
    Last edited by S. Cane; 09-21-2021 at 04:49 PM. Reason: As always, I tried to make myself as clear as possible in a language that isn't my own

Re: I miss the -not so- old days

Amen. Well said, Sérgio.

I don't have much guitar-related stuff to post here (or anywhere) for that matter. I haven't bought anything and my custom guitar is still being worked on. But I've been playing. A lot. And enjoying it and improving. But talking about that is boring and unproductive.

So, I like to talk about the travels I done, the food I've eaten, the photos I've taken, and all the above. Maybe some people don't want to hear about that.

But, like you said, this is kind of like gathering around the campfire.

I belong to another guitar forum that is so crowded that a question I make today will find itself on page three tomorrow. It's hard to track posts, make friends, or get to know what's trending.

Maybe a few more newcomers to this forum would spice things up a bit, but I also wouldn't want to see it grow uncontrollably. I think one reason I stay away from the LPF is because of the sheer weight.

That's why I keep coming back. I don't think I pizz people off, at least I don't mean to intentionally, so I try to stay laid back and participate where I think I can, and stay quiet when I can't.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

I post whenever I feel I have something to contribute and I don't mind goring some sacred cow if/when it's in need of it. But I don't use this forum as a personal blog page to air whatever non-guitar related gripe I may have nor do I use it as a platform for tooting my own horn whenever I buy a pick or a new set of strings. Perhaps I seem like a curmudgeonly coot but I help out whenever I can and I answer any and all legitimate e-mails if the topic is interesting, amusing, and/or entertaining.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    I post whenever I feel I have something to contribute and I don't mind goring some sacred cow if/when it's in need of it. But I don't use this forum as a personal blog page to air whatever non-guitar related gripe I may have nor do I use it as a platform for tooting my own horn whenever I buy a pick or a new set of strings. Perhaps I seem like a curmudgeonly coot but I help out whenever I can and I answer any and all legitimate e-mails if the topic is interesting, amusing, and/or entertaining.
    I understand perfectly how you feel and how you see the forum. I think it's a different thing to each one of us, it's not that you are a curmudgeonly coot.

Others, like me, like to share daily experiences and ordinary music and guitar related happenings, or even shoot the breeze just because they enjoy the company here. To me this place is so cool I even had a TFF banner in my hand in one of the pictures I took in my wedding party.

Anyway, I was just speaking my mind here.

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    I feel pretty much the same. What you see of me here is what you'd see in real life- I really enjoy the place and try to add value where I can, but I'm not into small talk and am not one to go too deep into other aspects of my life (unless it adds value to the conversation and can helps someone out- in which case, I'll sometimes message the person).

I like to see other people's threads on whatever they'd like to discuss- I read almost all of them and comment if moved to do so.

I don’t say much here, never have, but I do enjoy reading what y’all post and how everyone is doing.
    What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

If everyone asked themselves a simple question before posting an opinion.........

"Is it helpful?" If it's not, then perhaps think twice before posting something you're going to need to defend to others with opposing view points. There are places on the internet for people who feel their opinion prevails over all, but I'm tempted to believe that a guitar forum is not one of those places. A guitar forum might better serve all as a sort of oasis where we speak of the great things concerning music.

Telling others, "Hey man, that's my opinion and too bad if you don't like it," really doesn't fly in the spirit of camaraderie or the joy of music. And while this may be "just my opinion," I offer it in the spirit of getting along. It is subject to change. It is offered humbly in the hope that TFF might be a shelter from the awful storm going on out there.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.