Thread: Eagles

Eagles

I’m having a good time revisiting their albums.

Just out of curiosity, do you guys like them? And do/did you play any of their songs in gigs or jams?

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: Eagles

I've been an Eagles fan since '72 when I first purchased their debut album and they were my wife's favorite band. Over the years we had a number of their songs on our playlist including "Take It Easy", Already Gone", "Life In The Fast Lane", "James Dean", "Heartache Tonight", "Victim Of Love", and (if our fans bought us enough Jack Daniels) that 'hotel' song.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

With the best-selling album of all time in the U. S. A., what's not to like? But no, I've never had an Eagles song on my set list.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Used to have Peaceful Easy Feeling and Take It Easy on my setlist with an old jam buddy. Haven't seen him in nearly 20 years since the birth of his son.

I know that The Big Lebowski popularized Eagles hatred but I'm sometimes perplexed at the vitriol they get online on guitar forums. To be honest, I was a Joe Walsh fan way back and when he joined the Eagles, I went along with it. This was back in the day when I considered band lineups to be forever and inviolent. I was naive, of course, and wasn't aware of the licentious nature of musicians yet.

At the risk of being at odds with The Dude Who Abides, I like the Eagles. They wrote a shit load of good songs.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

I love some of their stuff, and some of it leaves me cold. I'm burned out on "Hotel California," a song that despite my burnout is a masterpiece. My fave songs of theirs: Pretty Maids in a Row, Life in the Fast Lane, Take it to the Limit, One of these Nights, and Victim of Love. Fantastic stuff. What I don't like is unimportant in view of the greatness of their work. The band are American gems.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    Used to have Peaceful Easy Feeling and Take It Easy on my setlist with an old jam buddy. Haven't seen him in nearly 20 years since the birth of his son.

I know that The Big Lebowski popularized Eagles hatred but I'm sometimes perplexed at the vitriol they get online on guitar forums. To be honest, I was a Joe Walsh fan way back and when he joined the Eagles, I went along with it. This was back in the day when I considered band lineups to be forever and inviolent. I was naive, of course, and wasn't aware of the licentious nature of musicians yet.

At the risk of being at odds with The Dude Who Abides, I like the Eagles. They wrote a shit load of good songs.

“I hate the fuckin’ Eagles” was one of the parts of the movie that made me laugh loud

I'm not a fan of theirs. THere's a couple songs |I don't mind, and I can respect the talent up there, but overall I'll give them a pass.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

I can take the Eagles in small doses. One song, perhaps (unless it's the hotel one), but not an entire album. I have the Greatest Hits album (which is apparently the best-selling album of all time), but it only appears when I'm in the mood for it, and then -- I'm done before the album is.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Not a big fan -- I admire their musicianship, and their beautiful harmony vocals, but somehow the whole seems less than the sum of the parts. But I do have one positive Eagles-related memory: an Eagles tribute band's concert at the Granbury (TX) Opera House on January 2nd was the first live music I saw after Coronavirus hit. (Everybody in the band had the virus, so they considered themselves safe enough to hit the road.) I can't tell you how much fun it was to be with a crowd of people enjoying live music after being locked down for much of the previous year.

Two guesses as to what the encore was:

Last edited by Ed Driscoll; 09-28-2021 at 11:06 PM.