Thread: Brazil’s Pele Re-Enters ICU At Hospital

Brazil’s Pele Re-Enters ICU At Hospital

Sérgio is a friend of ours here, so in deference to his Brazilian heritage, I thought I'd post this sad news.

When I was younger, the name Pele was synonymous with excellence: Superman. No one, but no one was a better soccer (football) player than Pele.

September 17, 2021
    SAO PAULO (Reuters) -Brazil soccer legend Pele has re-entered an intensive care unit at Sao Paulo’s Albert Einstein Hospital, ESPN Brasil reported on Friday, in an apparent deterioration of his health after he left the unit earlier this week.
    The hospital said it had no new information.
    ESPN Brasil said Pele, an 80-year-old, three-time World Cup winner, was re-admitted to the ICU due to acid reflux. He had a colon tumor removed this month and was transferred out of the ICU on Tuesday.
    After leaving the ICU, he said in a message to fans on Instagram that he was ready for “90 minutes, plus extra time.”
    Pele has suffered from hip problems for years and cannot walk unaided. His public appearances were already being cut before the COVID-19 pandemic and since then he has made few unnecessary forays outside his house near Santos.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Re: Brazil’s Pele Re-Enters ICU At Hospital

Thanks for posting, my friend.

Indeed, Pelé is one of Brazil’s most prominent athletes ever, along with Ayrton Senna and a few others. He is a soccer icon to the whole world.

Sadly, age has come to him in a not so smooth way and his health is not good. Best wishes to him and may he recover well.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    Thanks for posting, my friend.

Indeed, Pelé is one of Brazil’s most prominent athletes ever, along with Ayrton Senna and a few others. He is a soccer icon to the whole world.

Sadly, age has come to him in a not so smooth way and his health is not good. Best wishes to him and may he recover well.
    +1

God willing, he'll be around to kick a few more goals.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Btw this thread reminded me of how much I miss watching Senna’s races. He was a master.

Btw this thread reminded me of how much I miss watching Senna’s races. He was a master.
    He was. I've followed F1 pretty closely for the past 40 years. I got to see him race in person once in Canada, though I have to admit that I was rooting for Prost. It was pretty shocking to watch him die on live TV.

Top Gear's film on Senna was an absolutely brilliant piece of television:

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Driscoll View Post
    Top Gear's film on Senna was an absolutely brilliant piece of television:

Thanks for posting! Great stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    He was. I've followed F1 pretty closely for the past 40 years. I got to see him race in person once in Canada, though I have to admit that I was rooting for Prost. It was pretty shocking to watch him die on live TV.

Back in the 80s and early 90s he was a presence in Brazilian homes. You’d hear about him on the radio, on TV, many people would spend the week counting the hours until the next race. My father is a F1 enthusiast and our Sunday morning program was always F1 on TV and talking about the race while we had lunch.