Thread: The Beatles

The Beatles

I was watching the trailers for the new doc on them, I wish they had played live moe often. I like their live playing SO MUCH better than their studio ensembles.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: The Beatles

I saw the Beatles live at Candlestick Park, San Francisco in 1966.

Couldn't hear JFS because of all the teenyboppers screaming their bloody heads off.

Still, it was an experience I'll never forget.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

The Beatles were just a little too soon for their time, sound reinforcement was still in its infancy. The screaming fans drowned out most of their performances.

I can't imagine if they had a modern sound system, something like what I heard with Pink Floyd back in the '90s.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    The Beatles were just a little too soon for their time, sound reinforcement was still in its infancy. The screaming fans drowned out most of their performances.

I can't imagine if they had a modern sound system, something like what I heard with Pink Floyd back in the '90s.
    In a 1971 Rolling Stone interview, Keith Richards alluded to the difference between their early tours, and then beginning in 1969, when they could finally tour with a PA system that allowed them finally be heard:

Being on the road every night you can tell by the way the gigs are going, there’s something enormous coming. You can feel this energy building up as you go around the country. You feel it winding tighter and tighter, until one day you get out there halfway through the first number and the whole stage is full of chicks screaming, “Nyeehhh.” There was a period of six months in England we couldn’t play ballrooms anymore because we never got through more than three or four songs every night, man. Chaos. Police and too many people in the places, fainting.

We’d walk into some of those places and it was like they had the Battle of the Crimea going on, people gasping, tits hanging out, chicks choking, nurses running around with ambulances.

I know it was the same for the Beatles. One had been reading about that, “Beatlemania.” “Scream power” was the thing everything was judged by, as far as gigs were concerned. If Gerry and the Pacemakers were the top of the bill, incredible, man. You know that weird sound that thousands of chicks make when they’re really lettin’ it go. They couldn’t hear the music. We couldn’t hear ourselves, for years. Monitors were unheard of. It was impossible to play as a band on stage, and we forgot all about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    I was watching the trailers for the new doc on them, I wish they had played live moe often. I like their live playing SO MUCH better than their studio ensembles.
    I'm just the opposite I love George Martin's production and Geoff Emerick's engineering. Close-miking Ringo's drums, dampening them down, and processing them through the Fairchild became the template for the modern rock drum sound. The Beatles could barely hear themselves play live once Beatlemania came into full swing.

I can't wait to see Peter Jackson's newly re-edited version of Let It Be. I only wish they kept it in theaters -- I would love to see the film of the rooftop concert with an audience around me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Driscoll View Post
    I'm just the opposite I love George Martin's production and Geoff Emerick's engineering. Close-miking Ringo's drums, dampening them down, and processing them through the Fairchild became the template for the modern rock drum sound. The Beatles could barely hear themselves play live once Beatlemania came into full swing.

I can't wait to see Peter Jackson's newly re-edited version of Let It Be. I only wish they kept it in theaters -- I would love to see the film of the rooftop concert with an audience around me.
    Of course, the recording of their albums was great! I agree 100% with you. I just think that, for my taste, anything you add to the guitar/bass/drums/vocals mix should be poured with parcimony in a rock band, otherwise it starts to sound like a fanfare. The Stones for instance did it with rare sense of chemistry...

Like I always say: good to see you here, Ed.