Thread: Speaking of radio

Speaking of radio

I started a conversation on a Rickenbacker owner's Facebook group asking "what's your favorite radio station?"

Got some pretty cool replies until someone finally started the c**p: "What's radio?", which was followed by another guy's "it was something people used to broadcast those dark discs".

I calmly replied, quoting Obi Wan Kenobi: "An elegant weapon, for a more civilized age".

Re: Speaking of radio

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    I calmly replied, quoting Obi Wan Kenobi: "An elegant weapon, for a more civilized age".
    A perfect response.
    Maybe I'm old, but I still listen to the radio. Though the way thing are, a few more mergers and there won't be anything |I want to listen to on terrestrial anymore... the more ownership condenses, the less variety there is.
    Personally I don't understand this - if a company owns a dozen stations in the area, why are they split half and half hip-hop and classic rock? Why not expand the formats - hip-hop and classic rock, but also a jazz station, a blues, a hard rock / heavy metal, indie rock, etc etc?
    yeah, yeah, probably has to do with money and licensing / royalties for the music...
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

I was blessed to be born in Fullerton, California, in Orange County, in 1952. It was a truly wonderful place to grow up for many reasons; i.e. the sun and surf and most of all the birthplace and home of Fender. As a young teen in the '60's, radio was a huge deal and my mates and I listened all the time. I had my favorite stations; KFWB, KHJ, and KRLA on AM radio, and KMET on FM. There were some really good DJs in LA. Among my favorites were Sam Riddle, Harvey "Humble Harv" Miller, and The Real Don Steele. But the greatest of all time, in my opinion, was B. Mitchel Reed on KFWB AM and, later, FM station KMET. Oh those were days!
    Born in Fullerton, California in 1952

Back in my early years I used to listen to John R on WLAC for great R&B music. Other great midwest rock stations were WLS out of Chicago and WOKY from Milwaukee.

In the mid-1960s, even though I lived in Virginia, I had a newspaper route that took me out at 2:00am every morning. I carried a transistor radio (remember those?) and thanks to atmospheric AM "skip," used to pull in WBZ out of Boston. A late-night DJ named Dick Summer had the most eclectic mix of programming, including old Don Ameche and Frances Langford episodes of "The Bickersons," some made-up mythology about who really created the sandwich (according to Summer, it was the Duke of Shrewsbury) and some of the first "underground" music, mostly local to the Bosstown Sound. He would read "The Highwayman," by Alfred Noyes, and his "Nightlight password" (Nightlight was the name of his program) was the radio check Jerry Lewis would sometimes recite from memory.

Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!