Thread: The Sunday Thread for August 29. Yikes, It's Almost September!

The Sunday Thread for August 29. Yikes, It's Almost September!

Really? September is just around the corner?

Yes, it's true. Where did the summer go? School has started in my area, so the yellow buses are on the road, the face diaper mandates are in place, and early voting begins on September 17. This is Virginia, where we like voting so much we have elections every year! Forty-five days' worth this year. I've applied for and been accepted as an elections officer because there's a need for election integrity and I thought I'd play my part. So, training in person and online is needed. I spent four hours yesterday attending training.

Today, I'm going to my family's for dinner. I haven't seen them in weeks, and I've grown antsy about it. So, I basically invited myself, and am treating them to dinner. I leave on vacation Thursday, so I wanted to get in a visit before I go.

Strapping on the face diaper, I'm headed off to explore and photograph four of California's national parks: Sequoia, Kings Canyon, Death Valley and Yosemite. I've been to Yosemite, but not Death Valley, and that was the selling point for me. I'll see Zabriskie Point, where some of you may remember a movie was made with a sound track by Pink Floyd, John Fahey, The Grateful Dead, The Rolling Stones and others. The movie was a failure, but the soundtrack remains...

Here's hoping everyone has a safe and happy Sunday. Next stop: September!
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Re: The Sunday Thread for August 29. Yikes, It's Almost September!

Celebrating a bunch of birthdays today. My stepson turned 40 this week, and I turned 68 yesterday. My wife turned 60 last year but we couldn't celebrate so she's in on the festivities, too. We're going to a winery this afternoon to see G Love in concert after a cookout. We're going to have a fiest, but I can't eat much - taking my diet really seriously and that means less than 1500 calories per day. No complaints, though, I lost 22 pounds in a month and feeling better than in a long time. Leaving for Maine on Thursday for a few days visiting with friends. I'm hoping I get chance to drive his Ferrari again!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

I have a day off. I've been at the store two weeks now, got my keys yesterday. I was sure The God of Retail was going to light the air with Blue Light Special fireworks.

It's a pleasant morning after a bit of high 90s heat this last week or so. Rain from Ida is on the way, and that means rain for us; RIP, the poor victims of the hurricane.

I taught myself a version of "Ain't Misbehavin'" a Few days ago, and I can't get the tune out of my head.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

getting ready to get busy this month. got some irksome news this week, nothing drastic but more of a "are you kidding me?" variety. Got a mountain of paperwork to go through and hopefully not find any more "gotchas". Hoping to get the car on the road this month. Looking forward to fall this year. Football is nigh. Regular season baseball ends in 5 weeks. Hockey starts in less than 7 weeks.

We're due for rain from Ida Wed night into Thursday. I feel awful for the people down there, who didn't have time to evacuate.

only two days in the 80s forecasted for the next 10 but the lows aren't that cold yet so it's going to be swamp butt humid for a while. Got a hornet nest right by the kitchen door, bro doesn't want to wait for the weather to cooperate so he's calling a bug guy.

Trying to figure how to sell guitars if I don't have a car to go meet people, I don't want them coming to the house. I might try to arrange for meetings in the parking lot of the park by my house, I can use my old apartment cart to lug the guitar(s) there. There's a dentist office about a thousand feet from here but I don't know how they would feel about guitar sales in their parking lot. I only plan to list one at a time. I really don't want to deal with shipping. I'd rather deal with the weather.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

This is my wife's last day off since having her knee replaced ten weeks ago! She's finally getting around better, but is not looking forward to going back to work!

It’s just been a very quiet day sitting here watching an old Elvis movie, “Paradise Hawaiian Style” and laughing at all the old hokey Elvis stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    getting ready to get busy this month. got some irksome news this week, nothing drastic but more of a "are you kidding me?" variety. Got a mountain of paperwork to go through and hopefully not find any more "gotchas". Hoping to get the car on the road this month. Looking forward to fall this year. Football is nigh. Regular season baseball ends in 5 weeks. Hockey starts in less than 7 weeks.

We're due for rain from Ida Wed night into Thursday. I feel awful for the people down there, who didn't have time to evacuate.

only two days in the 80s forecasted for the next 10 but the lows aren't that cold yet so it's going to be swamp butt humid for a while. Got a hornet nest right by the kitchen door, bro doesn't want to wait for the weather to cooperate so he's calling a bug guy.

Trying to figure how to sell guitars if I don't have a car to go meet people, I don't want them coming to the house. I might try to arrange for meetings in the parking lot of the park by my house, I can use my old apartment cart to lug the guitar(s) there. There's a dentist office about a thousand feet from here but I don't know how they would feel about guitar sales in their parking lot. I only plan to list one at a time. I really don't want to deal with shipping. I'd rather deal with the weather.
    Around here some of the local police departments encourage people to meet for online transactions in their parking lots.

Concert was sort-of fun last night. G Love was really interesting. A mix of blues, jazz reggae and rap. He was pretty talented and his band was exceptional. I guess I found it fascinating that a bunch of tofu eating wine snobs (it was at a winery) got their "reggae fix" by a white dude trying to sound Jamaican. After a while the gimmick wore off. The big downer was my stepson got totally wasted - beer, wine, a lot of pot and mushrooms made him really weirded out and that more or less destroyed the evening. I was driving and I made the hour drive in about 40 minutes just to get him out of my truck.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain