Thread: Jazz Talk

Jazz Talk

Who are your favorite Sax players?

I am probably a sinner. I like Sonny Rollins better than Coltrane…

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: Jazz Talk

Wendell Newton.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Alto Reed, Bob Segar's long time sax player. How could you ask for a better name for a horn player?

Although a lot of people lionize him, Clarence Clemons of the E Street Band was one of my least favorite sax players. The guy just would not shut the fuck up. My first Springsteen concert was 4 hours of sax solos without a break, I swear. Don't get me wrong, I love sax, just not every fucking minute when the singer isn't singing.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Dan I'm with you on Springsteen and dear CC.

Richard Parry who's played with Pink Floyd is one of my fave rock sax players. Stones sideman Bobby Keys too.

As for jazz jazz, I've never been big into the Coltrane era stuff. I love horn players such as Louis Armstrong, mostly because I like jazz of the 20s-40s mostly. Bebop just doesn't get me like the earlier stuff did.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

On sax two favorites are King Curtis and Steve Douglas.

TFF Stage Crew

Paul Desmond & Jimmy Giuffre. Neither of these guys are considered "heavyweights", but they just had great chops & tone.
    Jimmy is mostly known for clarinet, but also played sax. I found out about him when I was going through a Jim Hall phase.

TFF Stage Crew

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    As for jazz jazz, I've never been big into the Coltrane era stuff. I love horn players such as Louis Armstrong, mostly because I like jazz of the 20s-40s mostly. Bebop just doesn't get me like the earlier stuff did.
    I like bebop but can only take in small doses. Late-era Coltrane was just screeching imo

Quote Originally Posted by Cogs View Post
    I like bebop but can only take in small doses. Late-era Coltrane was just screeching imo
    I never liked Coltrane's or Davis's late years. Too noisy and not really cool.

TFF Stage Crew

Miles davis was a great musician but not innovative. More like Bob Wills, he was quick to see popular trends in music & incorporate them into whatever he was doing.
    You can thank Sun Ra for the overblown screech that plagued modern jazz in the mid to late '60s. It's like they got so overly technical & complex in bebop that the only place to go was chaos

Quote Originally Posted by Cogs View Post
    Miles davis was a great musician but not innovative. More like Bob Wills, he was quick to see popular trends in music & incorporate them into whatever he was doing.
    You can thank Sun Ra for the overblown screech that plagued modern jazz in the mid to late '60s. It's like they got so overly technical & complex in bebop that the only place to go was chaos
    I like pretty much everything Miles did in the 50s and early 60s. But then he started being too "free of form" for my own taste.