Thread: RIP Charlie Watts

RIP Charlie Watts

We just lost the classiest drummer in Rock n’ Roll history.

Rest In Peace, Charlie!

Re: RIP Charlie Watts

Man, seriously: this is hurting more than I thought it would.

We’ve been losing the great ones for a while now, but the idea of Charlie being dead is just too bad, it’s like losing an uncle who taught me how to play to the beat.

Wow. And it was just announced he was not joining the band on their latest tour due to health reasons. Can't be any more serious than this.

He was 80, I believe.

R. I. P.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

I had my phone off most of the day due to the battery being low. Turned it on while taking the bus home, read my friend's post about it. Bummer. he was one of the best time keepers you could ever ask for. I had hoped I'd get to see him some day.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Yeah, this one is a gut shot. I mean, we knew it was going to happen eventually - the cat's 80, for Bog's sake, but it was pretty much out of the blue.
    They announced he had a medical procedure last month, but said it was completely sucessful and went according to plan, so I was expecting him to come back soon.
    Charlie was possibly the best drummer in rock n' roll. Not flashy, but rock solid, and gave the music that swing. He wasn;'t one to ever take a solo, and his fills were an extra tom hit, but they were perfectly placed and never took anything away from the rest of the song.
    There's been some great tributes posted, but I want to hear what Mick and Keef have to say.
    Edit: Keith just posted this:
    Last edited by jrgtr42; 08-24-2021 at 05:03 PM.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

It's really hard to express how much I'm feeling his loss. I myself never thought it'd be so hard.

I'm feeling like I lost an uncle, that cool uncle who taught me how to play the guitar to the beat of a drummer. That uncle who was there, never trying to compete with your dad, but always was there when you needed a life lesson.

My bandmates are devastated as well. We NEVER played a gig or even a studio rehearsal without playing at least one Stones song. Not ONCE.

Man, how much harder can these times get?

Love you, Charlie. Thanks for having existed in our lifetime.

TFF Stage Crew

A terrible loss. On the other hand, 80 years is a good run. I'd be grateful to make 80.

An old saw that sometimes doesn't go down well:

Don't be sad they died, be happy they lived.
    Striving to be ordinary

I learned a lot of what I know about playing bass from Charlie Watts.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

It’s only rock ‘n’ roll, so the Rolling Stones will play on without drummer Charlie Watts — and you’ll like it.

The rock band will continue their US tour in September, according to the Sun, and the band will pay an emotional tribute to their fallen friend at their concert next month.

Watts died at the age of 80 on Aug. 24. Members Mick Jagger, Keith Richards and Ronnie Wood will continue their No Filter Tour in St. Louis on Sept. 26.

The Post has reached out to the band’s reps for comment.

Watts previously left the tour due to a medical issue earlier this month. A source told the publication, "The band wants to make the show a celebration of his life.

"He was like a brother to them but they know he would have hated the thought of them canceling shows. Charlie had given them his blessing to tour without him following his operation, so they will honor his wishes," the insider continued.

The Mirror also reported the tour will continue on as planned.

However, the Stones’ official website merely has a poignant tribute to Watts — a photo of him in a dapper suit — and no other information.

The band issued an emotional statement following Watts’ death. "It is with immense sadness that we announce the death of our beloved Charlie Watts," the statement read. "He passed away peacefully in a London hospital earlier today surrounded by his family."
    Striving to be ordinary