Thread: The Sunday Thread for The End of the World. Er, August 22, 2021.

The Sunday Thread for The End of the World. Er, August 22, 2021.

Good Sunday morning! Some of you are bracing for intemperate weather, so the rest of us are offering up our hopes and prayers for the best outcome!

In my case, the rains appear to have passed, and the forecast for the coming week is pretty bland: Mostly sunny, with hot - but not brutally - and humid. As the saying around here goes, "It's not the heat, it's the humidity." That's actually wrong, you know. It's really the heat AND the humidity!

Yesterday started out gloriously nice, so I applied a second layer of ceramic coating to my car, and now I'm set. I hope. Given that it's a new car, I can't immediately discern the difference, but it was a preventative move more than anything else. Time will tell.

Lately, I've been in a Dickey Betts guitar-playing frame of mind. I wanted to get out of the all-the-blues-all-the-time mode, and after changing style, I realized that I should probably put the Allman Brothers Band high on my list of guitar influences.

Tomorrow I have a two-day training to conduct, so I'm lazing back today. Two days "on stage" requires less prep than five, but still, I have to "go on" when the lights go up, so it's going to be a quiet day of playing guitar, watching some baseball, and just keeping my blood pressure down.

Have a good Sunday, wherever you are. Stay safe, and stay well.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Re: The Sunday Thread for The End of the World. Er, August 22, 2021.

I took a job as a shoe sales dude. The pay is great: if I get a raise, I'll make enough to starve to death on. I used to make more money during a piss break. It's transitional. I'm just paying the bills for a few months. I'm actually enjoying the work. There's nothing wrong with the job. I'm just not used to life outside the university. i worked hard there, both at work and at home--always at work, that burned me out.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    I took a job as a shoe sales dude. The pay is great: if I get a raise, I'll make enough to starve to death on. I used to make more money during a piss break. It's transitional. I'm just paying the bills for a few months. I'm actually enjoying the work. There's nothing wrong with the job. I'm just not used to life outside the university. i worked hard there, both at work and at home--always at work, that burned me out.
    I was going to make a reference to All Bundy selling shoes, but worried you wouldn't see the humor in it, so I didn't.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Looks like the worst is passing to the east now... we'll get lots of rain but I don't think the wind will be too bad. Expecting to lose power though. They are saying it could take up to three weeks to restore it - our utility company sucks. Last week the storm washed out a bunch of debris from under my deck - I expect the same this time. All the little pieces of wood and decking that I just left under the deck when I redid the floor are all washing out now.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

It's going to be another really beautiful day here on the western shore of Lake Michigan and, thankfully, the SS Badger has resumed its daily lake crossings after being suspended for a bit due to a crew member testing positive for the COVID virus. I thought you might enjoy a little video about this cool old car ferry.

I was supposed to got to Kap'n's house to play with some guitars and amps today, but the storm is passing between his house and mine, so I guess I'll be staying home today!
    That's fine- we have a lot of tidying up to do since our son moved out and my wife had her knee replace.

Recovering from the COVID scare. It really wasn’t nice to see my old man sick, my mom in the hospital and myself tested positive. This shit messes with your head, it’s like a Russian roulette that you didn’t ask for. Anyway, I’m finally ok, doctors released me and the old folks from observation and meds.

Last night I picked up the Rickenbacker after days quarantined inside my bedroom. Felt nice.

Glad you and yours made it out okay, Sérgio.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Quote Originally Posted by gibsonjunkie View Post
    I was going to make a reference to All Bundy selling shoes, but worried you wouldn't see the humor in it, so I didn't.
    Id laugh with you. I can laugh at myself too.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Sergio - glad you're back on the mend.

It's been weird today. We get bouts of heavy rain that suddenly stop. Then gusts of wind, that suddenly stop. So far nothing drastic. I got to the pet store and picked up kitty litter and a couple cans of prescription food. Stopped at a grocery store and while it was busy, it wasn't insane. I was kind of surprised at how many people were out and about.

it's hard to tell where the storm is going, it's moving so slow. right now it looks like it's heading into NY state but supposedly it will eventually turn east.

nothing planned today, except hunker down. still got power *or did I speak too soon?*
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"