Thread: Whee !! Interesting day in the old neighborhood

Whee !! Interesting day in the old neighborhood

My brother comes home and says there's something going on up on Broad St, the main road that goes by my neighborhood. He leaves again. A little while later, I hear a helicopter, a constant drone like he's hovering. It goes on for 10 minutes and finally I decide I want to go take a look.

The end of my street is practically at a traffic light controlled T-shaped intersection. Two police cars are blocking Broad Street off, diverting people to the left turn at the intersection. On Broad Street were a good half dozen fire engines, about a dozen trucks from the gas utility. I find out there was a major gas leak. The road is closed to pedestrian traffic as well so I walked down one of the side streets to the other end of our neighborhood. There's water running in the street, I would guess to keep the drains from building up gas. I get to the other end of our neighborhood and the smell of gas is quite strong. They're digging a hole right in the middle of the first intersection that connects to us.

I was planning on taking a bus downtown to transfer to another bus to go to a neighboring town, where I would be close enough to walk to my chiropractor appointment. I can't afford to Uber there and back, it's almost 50 dollars. Plus if I tried to Uber, I doubt if their guidance software can handle the road closures. I mean it's a clusterfuck out there right now. There should be a lot more detour signs. I got people barreling up my street at 40-50 mph (in a residential 25 mph zone) only to get to the end and find they can't go that way, either. I get that they're frustrated but that doesn't excuse their driving fast like that.

Well, if we all blow up, it'll be in the news and that'll explain why I stopped posting anymo&({V+(>> carrier lost
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Re: Whee !! Interesting day in the old neighborhood

BTW - Sergio's post about which 3 guitars would you grab? Rather timely, methinks

Cat, eye meds and computers first (mac minis are so easy to transport), then guitars. I don't care if my car's illegal to drive, if I gotta get outta dodge, I not letting that stop me. I'd probably grab my Princeton, too.

Jesus, take care, Dan.

And let us know how you got away with this.

the gas leak has been fixed. Now they are in the process of closing up all the holes (at least 6 that I could see) and making sure everything is all set before they pave it over. Man, I know those guys get paid well but they earned it today. I got sweaty as hell just ambling along in low gear. I've soaked 2 shirts, a pair of pants and a pair of shorts today. Definitely a swamp ass august day.