Thread: I saw one

I saw one

a meteor last night. we were pretty hazy all day early evening didn't look good for star-gazing. Well after midnight I looked at my phone and it said 75 clear. Those two words seldom describe an evening in NH. It's usually one or the other.

and it was a bright sucker, disappeared in a flash with a persistent trail. Only one I saw. Though it was clear, everything was wet to the touch. The light pollution from the recent build up in the outskirts of the area was very noticeable. But it was my first meteor possibly this century.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Re: I saw one

Sad that light pollution prevents us from seeing this all the time. I have a dream trip in mind that involves going somewhere as dark and far away from humans and light as possible. I want to see the stars even better than I saw them as a boy in the deep woods, when the sky seemed on fire with stars.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

I live in MA a couple of miles from a small city in RI and can see very few stars! It's sad.

Wow, this thread just reminded me: It's time for the Perseids Meteor Shower. Tomorrow and Saturday are supposed to be peak viewing nights.

Today was the hottest day of the year here (99° with a heat index approaching 110°). I stayed indoors all day, teaching, reading and playing guitar. I went out only to pick up my mail, and that was enough for me.

It should be cooler in the evening, but it's still 89° at 9:30pm. That could make it uncomfortable watching meteors.

Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Light pollution is an indicator of modern civilization.

Would you have us live in candle-lit caves?
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Caves, no, but hollow trunks in enchanted forests of coffee beans, yes.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

I'm going to try again in a few minutes. The longer lasting earthgrazers happen closer to midnight our time. Later they are the flashes like I saw last night, as we hit the swarm head on. I was out there after 3 AM (was still awake, said 'why not')

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Caves, no, but hollow trunks in enchanted forests of coffee beans, yes.
    Well saddle up your unicorn and gallop on off to Shangri-La......I'm not giving up my electricity for anybody.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

The skies were more forgiving last night, I saw many more celestial bodies than before, but alas no shooting stars. The light pollution was not as prominent tonight. Maybe the un-forecasted showers cleared the air, cooled things off. Finally driven in by the skeeters. At least one managed to invade my long sleeve's cuffs. I got bit on both wrists.

there's a park below my backyard. I'm going to check it out this winter and if it's a good viewing spot, I might make a path from my yard to the park.

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    Well saddle up your unicorn and gallop on off to Shangri-La......I'm not giving up my electricity for anybody.
    Well hell. Me either. I like a comfortable chair and light strong enough to overcome my worsening vision. I can’t drive at dark anymore unless I know the streets well and they’re lit.

super humid and probably the hottest night we've had in a few years. It was 79 at 11 PM and still 75 after midnight. For here, that's really warm. We had many days in July when the high temp didn't even reach 70. There will be no meteors seen tonight.

This is the kind of night I don't mind air conditioning. At the old house, we had an air handler in the basement and there were only two ducts in the entire second floor upstairs. I blocked off the duct in my bedroom and the other duct was in a vacant room. My music room was next to that vacant room. I almost never even perceived the a/c running, just the cool air. Even on the first floor you barely heard the operation noise.

Here, we have floor vents in every room. You know when the a/c is running, you can't help but to hear it. The air handler is right under our feet. I tried using my phone as a video camera the other day, and the a/c noise was quite prominent in the playback.