Thread: 1969

Since we've had postings on 1987 and 1971, I thought I'd throw in 1969, the year I graduated high school and, I think, a pivotal year. There's a six-part ABC series airing on Hulu right now that focuses on the highlights (moon landing, Woodstock) and lowlights (Manson murders, Chappaquiddick). I got my very own first car, registered for the draft, and began my journey into manhood.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Re: 1969

In 69, when I was seven, I was enjoying a wonderful childhood in West Nashville. We had a small house in the neighborhood built for Ford workers like my Dad who were coming in from little country towns and Nashville itself. The yards were flat and green, and no one had a fence yet, so we'd easily have 20 kids to play with in epic baseball games.

My oldest brother and I bonded over music. Beatles, Iron Butterfly, the new group Led Zeppelin, etc. My sister and middle brother were more into bubble-gum music. We would organize little parties in our garage or in one of the other kids'--miming music. At one party, someone had a surfboard and mimed some Beach Boys tune. I remember my middle brother mimed some ballad from The Grass Roots, and the girls swooned.

I went to libraries in Nashville. I got so excited that I could check out two or three books at a time, then five--I read bios of Washington and others. I read kid's stuff: Peanuts, "Hats for Sale", "The Five Chinese Brothers". I read books for kids about astronomy--Apollo Apollo Apollo.

I was scared that the Vietnamese would drop bombs on us. I was seven. I watched it on the news like everyone, and it was disturbing. One night, the news showed a small group of North Vietnamese guerrillas waiting to attack Americans coming their way. I also remember the news showing someone getting shot. It didn't phase my family; I remember losing my breath when I saw it. Now we see it and say, "O that's bad," and eat our hamburgers.

I'd love to go back to that time and be with my parents and oldest brother one last day. Not everything was perfect then: Vietnam, civil unrest, assassinations, and personally, I was beginning to show signs of depression and anxiety. It was a minor problem then, and what I remember most is that the sun lit up the blue sky and turned the grass to gold.
    Last edited by ch willie; 08-06-2021 at 03:13 PM.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

‘69, I hadn’t been born
    yet.

However, just a heads up: the 1972 thread is about a very nice music Documentary on Apple TV. Not a thread like this one. Y’all oughta check it out.

I was 11 that year. Super into cars, rockets, astronomy. It was prepubescence for me, girls and rock and roll were around the corner a ways yet ... but not that far.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

TFF Stage Crew

I was 9 yrs old, & that summer I traded a stack of 45s (mostly Monkees & other "bubblegum" artists) for 2 Beatle LPs: Sgt. Pepper's & Magical Mystery Tour. Pretty much gave me a new outlook on everything
    Last edited by Cogs; 08-06-2021 at 04:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cogs View Post
    I was 9 yrs old, & that summer I traded a stack of 45s (mostly Monkees & other "bubblegum" artists) for 2 Beatle LPs: Sgt. Pepper's & Magical Mystery Tour. Pretty much have me a new outlook on everything
    Trade??? You STOLE that deal!
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by OldStrummer View Post
    Trade??? You STOLE that deal!
    Mebbe so but what happens if he starts jonesing for some Ohio Express or Archie Bell (& The Dells)?

"When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Here’s 1969 playing with the great Braille Blues Daddy, Bryan Lee in Madison, Wisconsin. Those were really fun times.

TFF Stage Crew

The full truth? The albums didn't even belong to the kid I traded with, they were HIS BIG SISTER'S. I never heard what happened afterwards but I'd guess she wasn't happy

TFF Stage Crew

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    Here’s 1969 playing with the great Braille Blues Daddy, Bryan Lee in Madison, Wisconsin. Those were really fun times.

Now THAT'S cool

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

The full truth? The albums didn't even belong to the kid I traded with, they were HIS BIG SISTER'S. I never heard what happened afterwards but I'd guess she wasn't happy
    Perhaps she preferred to tighten up with some "Yummy Yummy Yummy".

"When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

I’d have literally straightened everything up with her if she was upset! Been there, done that regarding friends’ big sisters!

I traded a KC and the Sunshine Band for the Beatles butcher cover of Yesterday. Gave it to a friend years later.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post

So is that Bryan Lee with the 335? And the 3 beautiful showgirls surrounding him? : :
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

Quote Originally Posted by jrgtr42 View Post
    So is that Bryan Lee with the 335? And the 3 beautiful showgirls surrounding him? : :
    Yes, that’s Bryan with the 335. Unfortunately, with Bryan passing away last year, I am the only member of that group still alive. If you haven’t heard of Bryan you have missed a great, original bluesman. Here he is from a Quebec TV show called Beau et chaud.

Forum Member

1969, I graduated from "A" school, and was sent to the fleet. Left at the end of August for a "Tour" of the far east!
    We weren't starved for music onboard after we left Hawaii, a fellow's sister would record the full albums of new music they used to play on FM radio! Every week he would get a couple of reels!