Thread: Tone Master Super Reverb

Tone Master Super Reverb

I've long loved the sound of four 10" speakers in an open back combo, especially of the blackface variety. I saw a demo today of the Tone Master Super Reverb. Now I want to try one.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: Tone Master Super Reverb

Report your findings after you've done so.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    Report your findings after you've done so.
    Ok - so one of my bandmates who has probable owned more amps than anyone I know on the face of the earth just purchased one. He also has an older one (64 maybe?)

It was a great sounding amp at the last gig. I know he played with pedals and settings on the amp and at one point was ungodly loud but reined it back in. That said he sounded great at all levels. He was finally able to control it at decent levels not melting peoples faces either. Se said it was very touch responsive, and took well to his KWS strat and a 54 reissue he recently got.

We have a weekend gig sunday, I will see if he brings it if we can get some sort of video/audio. It will be cell phone at best - but may give an idea?
    At close to 1/2 the weight any trade of in sound is fair in the world of load in/out in my world.
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Quote Originally Posted by FrankJohnson View Post
    At close to 1/2 the weight any trade of in sound is fair in the world of load in/out in my world.
    +1

Yeah, they're a real bitch to schlep around. And at 24 inches in height, an ankle-buster as well.

I'd be interested in seeing (and hearing) your next gig.

I've owned several Supers, but I prefer the sound of a Pro Reverb.

They're less expensive and worth a listen if you haven't made up your mind yet.
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Tele-Bob View Post
    I've owned several Supers, but I prefer the sound of a Pro Reverb.

They're less expensive and worth a listen if you haven't made up your mind yet.
    yes, but we're right back up there with weight again vs the Tonemaster stuff.

Count me in as one more who’s interested in this tonemaster series.

Weight, bulk and loudness were the factors that made me trade my 40watt Hot Rod Deluxe for a 15 watt Blues Jr.

My back, my tendonitis and my tone appreciated it a lot

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    Count me in as one more who’s interested in this tonemaster series.

Weight, bulk and loudness were the factors that made me trade my 40watt Hot Rod Deluxe for a 15 watt Blues Jr.

My back, my tendonitis and my tone appreciated it a lot
    I've heard several sound clips of the Tonemaster series (both the Deluxe Reverb and Twin Reverb versions) and, to my ear, their sonic profiles are very close to the tube versions they're intended to emulate. My biggest concern about the Tonemasters is their durability and reliability -- how long will they hold together and will they be logistically-supportable a decade from today? Fender has a nasty habit of introducing a new (and promising) technology only to take the short-sighted view of discontinuing the proprietary parts needed to keep these amps serviceable long after the warranty has expired. And when the source for replacement parts dries up, these amps become little more than very expensive door-stops.

As always, time will tell.

I've heard several sound clips of the Tonemaster series (both the Deluxe Reverb and Twin Reverb versions) and, to my ear, their sonic profiles are very close to the tube versions they're intended to emulate. My biggest concern about the Tonemasters is their durability and reliability -- how long will they hold together and will they be logistically-supportable a decade from today? Fender has a nasty habit of introducing a new (and promising) technology only to take the short-sighted view of discontinuing the proprietary parts needed to keep these amps serviceable long after the warranty has expired. And when the source for replacement parts dries up, these amps become little more than very expensive door-stops.

I had that concern when I bought my amps, the Hot Rod and the Blues Jr being mounted with PCBs and such.

I wonder if it's too troublesome and/or expensive to just remake an amp like this, wiring it point to point, if a time comes when I can no longer have them serviced.

I was thinking the same thing when I replaced my 20+ year old Briggs & Stratton powered Craftsman push mower with a Cobalt cordless electric mower. Sure, the Craftsman was o n it's last legs, but I doubt I'll get 20 year out of it, and if I did, would I be able to get parts.

Forum Member

I bought a used TMSR from Guitar Center. It sounds great but gets noisy around 8 on the volume knob at full power. Anyone experience this? I changed the power cord and it reduced the noise. I may look at getting a power conditioner and also put a noise gate in the front. At low power and volume it’s not a big issue. Don’t want to go through the hassle of returning it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by speegman View Post
    I bought a used TMSR from Guitar Center. It sounds great but gets noisy around 8 on the volume knob at full power. Anyone experience this? I changed the power cord and it reduced the noise. I may look at getting a power conditioner and also put a noise gate in the front. At low power and volume it’s not a big issue. Don’t want to go through the hassle of returning it.
    I put a Boss noise suppression pedal in front of the amp and the noise issue is totally resolved.

I've been impressed with the ToneMaster series from Fender, mainly because of the weight relief but also for the low to no maintenance that solid state construction provides. My only dis of that line is the fact that the speakers are hardwired into the chassis and there is no Main or Extension Speaker input on the back panel.
    Born in Fullerton, California in 1952

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyMac View Post
    I've been impressed with the ToneMaster series from Fender, mainly because of the weight relief but also for the low to no maintenance that solid state construction provides. My only dis of that line is the fact that the speakers are hardwired into the chassis and there is no Main or Extension Speaker input on the back panel.
    seriously? They are? Come on, Fender, WTF? It's not like there isn't enough room to put in a speaker jack(or two). I would definitely put one in myself.