Thread: Have I ever mentioned I hate computers?

Have I ever mentioned I hate computers?

especially when they defy my will. Running into keychains issues. There's no way I'm looking up and hand typing in over 150 passwords, nor am I going to change them. WTF is with this crap? If you're migrating to a new computer, you need your fucking passwords. What the hell, Apple?
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: Have I ever mentioned I hate computers?

I sympathize, Dan. I've been breaking in a new Lenovo laptop all friggin' weekend. A genuine PITFA!

"When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

oh, man. I haven't even unboxed my new computer yet. This was just trying to consolidate my two machines into one. I tried wifi. It migrated but no passwords. I tried using the backup drive. It too migrated, but no passwords. I found an Ethernet cable. Directly hooked up the two machines, through no small amount of effort to bring them close enough together. No go. BTW, so much for the legendary speed of Ethernet, it was the slowest transfer of them all. Then I found out each time I migrated, I was creating duplicates and filled up the hard drive. Just about lost it at that point. Managed to piss off my brother from my incessant cussing, and you should hear him when he has computer issues.

Spent about 2 hours with Apple chat. Finally got the damn thing resolved. 15 hours I spent yesterday on this. I lost the whole day. I feel like it's Tuesday, not Monday. Anyway, my surfing is back to normal, the machine is running nice and cool. I'll probably use the old machine to experiment on, think I'll put in a SSD drive and reload the OS and see how it runs.

I've had a long, successful and happy career in the computer biz. Mainframes, Unix/Linux servers, Macs, Windows and other oddball OSes. And while I've sometimes had issues, I can't relate to the "hate" part. I am grateful I've never had to work a day in my adult life.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Update. the first two days of August saw 24 hours of them trying to bend these infernal machines to my will. I was not the victor I wanted to be. I ended up doing a full erase of the old music room machine and installed my old main computer on it. I can now use my Microsoft Office again and my keychains passwords work as they should. Next I'm going to unbox my new M1 and install the old music machine computer backup onto that. Will it go smoothly or be yet another marathon cussing session? Who daphuq knows?

Wish me luck, I'm going in, covering fire. Covering fire.

Great Moogly Oogly. I just did a speed test and almost got arrested. 270 down and 41 up. About 10 times faster than my old main machine.

Dan, are you pretty close to getting your studio back up? I've been looking for jobs so much *and socializing wif me honey* that I have neglected it. My latest procrastination excuses: I have to wire up the Ibanez first, and then, I have to fix a couple of other things on my guitars, and then and then.

I'll tell you later about my problem with procrastination...
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

nary a thing has been done as far as getting my studio going. Way too many other things have to be done first. My main thing right now is getting my car legal again so I can drive it. Then it's getting the closets set up with shelves and clothes rods. That will enable the unpacking of many boxes. New curtains and shades and blinds. Then demolition of the other side of the cellar. Move everything over and demolition of the music room side of the cellar. Then build the music room. It's going to be a while.

I'm weird, but I love new computers and love setting them up. Haven't seen a great way to transfer stuff other than a USB HDD and copy from one to the other. I prefer to reload apps so that it is no big deal. It lets me weed out the ones I haven't used in a long time. Of course the first app I install is always Lotus Approach (the millennial edition!). Yes it's 20 years since they stopped making it, and since I started on version 1.0 I've been using it since my first pc in 1991(?).
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Forum Member

I hate this password system with all my heart. I've had one laptop for many years (ok, about 6-7 years). There was a lot of data related to my studies, practice, work, hobbies, etc. I'm not even talking about those photos of my youth that I kept there. When I bought a new laptop, I didn't remember any passwords, and I had to pull out information roughly with the help of the guys from salvagedata.com just to save all that information that could have been lost. So yes, apple, what the hell?
    Last edited by Angelars; 04-25-2022 at 09:12 AM.

Hate computers......Did I mention iPads make really great Frisbees????

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmy View Post
    Hate computers......Did I mention iPads make really great Frisbees????
    that's why I stuck with desktops. The potential of shoulder injuries trying to throw one of these and scotching my ability to play, have enabled my infernal computational-type things to stay in running conditions.

I can't own any firearms because I have a medicinal cannabis card so my computer is safe, as are the banks and gas stations that They must be afraid I'll rob if I had a gun.

we used to have a poster here who regularly shot his personal computer stuff, as well as other appliances when they frustrated him. We haven't heard from him in a long time

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    we used to have a poster here who regularly shot his personal computer stuff, as well as other appliances when they frustrated him. We haven't heard from him in a long time
    lol I remember that vaguely, who was that?

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarcane View Post
    lol I remember that vaguely, who was that?
    I think that was Old Ranger.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!