Thread: smoke

smoke

it's pretty bad here today. I had been inside all day in my office. I kept getting stuffier and stuffier, and got a colossal headache. I decided it was time for a break and checked the weather app.

Conditions: Smoke We had some last week but not as bad as today. We had some pretty good rain that cleaned it up for a while, but no longer.

I looked out the window, I had thought it was overcast due to the dinginess of the sunlight coming through the windows. I saw the trees over my neighbors' houses looking like it was foggy out. The sky is the color of dirty milk. I can't tell if there are any clouds. There's this weird amber tint to the sunlight.

I feel like I'm in a room that has been closed up too tight for too long, like there's no quite the usual amount of available oxygen. I can't imagine how it must be for people with pulmonary issues.

how is it where you are?
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Re: smoke

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    it's pretty bad here today. I had been inside all day in my office. I kept getting stuffier and stuffier, and got a colossal headache. I decided it was time for a break and checked the weather app.

Conditions: Smoke We had some last week but not as bad as today. We had some pretty good rain that cleaned it up for a while, but no longer.

I looked out the window, I had thought it was overcast due to the dinginess of the sunlight coming through the windows. I saw the trees over my neighbors' houses looking like it was foggy out. The sky is the color of dirty milk. I can't tell if there are any clouds. There's this weird amber tint to the sunlight.

I feel like I'm in a room that has been closed up too tight for too long, like there's no quite the usual amount of available oxygen. I can't imagine how it must be for people with pulmonary issues.

how is it where you are?

What is it? Are fires going on like in California a while ago?

It's from the wildfires in the west, the smoke is going up to Canada and joining smoke from fires up there and swooping down the Great Lakes and into the Northeast Corridor. This is worse than the fires in Canada a few years ago that were much closer.

At one point last night, I forget where I was, but I thought I smelled smoke and wondered who'd be running their fireplace in this temperature?

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    It's from the wildfires in the west, the smoke is going up to Canada and joining smoke from fires up there and swooping down the Great Lakes and into the Northeast Corridor. This is worse than the fires in Canada a few years ago that were much closer.

At one point last night, I forget where I was, but I thought I smelled smoke and wondered who'd be running their fireplace in this temperature?

Are such wildfires normal in that area? Or maybe they’re occurring more frequently because of global warming?

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    Are such wildfires normal in that area? Or maybe they’re occurring more frequently because of global warming?
    Roughly half of the fires in the southwest border states are "hombre-caused".
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

|I went out around the same time you posted and it was the same - I could faintly smell the smoke, and it was definitely hazy up and down my street, on a relatively clear day.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

TFF Stage Crew

Clear skies where I'm at in So. King Co. (WA State). But last year, Hoo wee. So much smoke & ash. Coupled with the strangeness of the covid lock down, it was positively apocalyptic

the fires here have a two-fold problem, both caused by man but not necessarily climate change. Due to massive population growth in the last 100 years, there are a lot more power lines and they are susceptible to winds. Add to that source of ignition is a lot of arson crimes. We don't lock up the mentally disturbed like we used and thus they are free to roam and cause problems.

The other part of the problem is we have been suppressing the natural fire cycles for the last 100 years as well. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Smokey the Bear, but fire is necessary for a healthy forest culture. The annual burn off used to clear the detritus of the previous growth season, and provide nutrients for the new season. Fires would burn lightly and the undergrowth would rebound quickly. Now the dead leaves and branches pile up for decades and when they do burn, they burn so hot that the trees catch fire as well. That didn't used to happen.

Drought is cyclic. It's not helping the situation any now that there is so much fuel that can't be burnt naturally without an total catastrophe happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    As I understand it, scientists are pretty unanimous that global warming is having an impact and it will continue to get worse.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Peace, friends.

When Ireplied to this thread and started one about global warming I definitely didn't think this would end up in any disagreement between members. To me this wasn't a political debate, I was merely thinking of the weather.

I kindly ask everyone to just ignore this subject if it's going to become an unpleasant conversation, especially considering that EVERY one of you guys is important to this forum and we can't afford to lose any of our members...

Last night when I drove home from work in my convertible with the top down and no AC, it was 88F with 47% humidity, but it didn't feel that warm due to the haze from the smoke blotting out the sun.

This morning, driving in, I could smell the smoke at times.

The sun was pink last night and this morning.

Weird!

TFF Stage Crew

We should probably avoid talking about climate change & stick with topics that aren't so divisive, like abortion & the 2020 presidential election
    Lol

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Cogs View Post
    We should probably avoid talking about climate change & stick with topics that aren't so divisive, like abortion & the 2020 presidential election.
    ......Or gun control.

"When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

TFF Stage Crew