Thread: 1987. Where were you and what were you doing?

1987. Where were you and what were you doing?

Saw a thread about 1979 in another forum and thought it’d be fun to play this here.

Re: 1987. Where were you and what were you doing?

Not much.

I was a mid-level computer programmer with a wife and a five year-old daughter, just trying to make ends meet.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

At this time in 1987 had just married my sweetie and graduated with a batchelor’s degree in computer science. I was still paying the bills by being a full time musician. Life was so simple in those days.

I was working full-time as a bank teller but got a break writing for a Nashville business magazine. I also put plans in place to live and study in France -- a trip from which I came home married and which sewed seeds for my life in Europe. I listened mostly to classical and jazz then: Tchaikovsky, Ravel, Debussy, Mozart, Miles, Monk, Louis, Ella, Larry Carlton, Philip Glass...I'm back into all that. Full circle.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

TFF Stage Crew

On this date in 1987 I was married less than a year, & it was all SRV, all the time

in 1987 I was working as a manager of a Charter Foods gas station/convenience store, my roommate was also a manager at a Charter Foods franchise. We worked hard and partied even harder. We did our best to maintain a good working atmosphere in spite of corporate's best efforts to inculcate a hostile, down right adversarial relationship with the employees. This took place in the Seacoast region, an area that was in economic decline due to the closure of the Pease Air Force Base. That event lead to the redeployment of a co-worker's spouse, and the best thing about working at CF moved across country. I ended up going back to my old pizza job as the fall semester began. Music wise, I was playing my SF Princeton Reverb and Ibanez LP copy, when I wasn't busy working or partying, which meant it was infrequent at best.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

All over, pulling many G's.
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

By 1987 I had taken over the family plumbing business. I hated plumbing and because of bad decisions my brother made (fueled by a healthy need for pharmaceutical recreation) he had all but destroyed the business (and then left me holding the bag for multiple $$$). It took years to get it all settled out. By 1993 I had gotten rid of the crushing debt through bankruptcy, got a new career and finally moved to a happy place.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

My wife and I got married in 1987. I had just graduated and started a job as a draftsman. My guitar was a '57 reissue Strat and my amp was a Fender Concert II 4x10 combo. I was really into Jimmie Vaughan (I still am).

In junior high, living for a year with my dad and step mother in Seattle.

Three years later I went back to help my dad pack up a U-Haul and make the trip back to Illinois after his divorce.

Went to an all ages rock show with a friend in downtown Seattle while there. The last band of the night was Nirvana, Dave Grohl recently added.

TFF Stage Crew

Quote Originally Posted by DocIllinois View Post
    In junior high, living for a year with my dad and step mother in Seattle.

Three years later I went back to help my dad pack up a U-Haul and make the trip back to Illinois after his divorce.

Went to an all ages rock show with a friend in downtown Seattle while there. The last band of the night was Nirvana, Dave Grohl recently added.
    I know it has been an eon, but do you recall the venue? I'm pretty sure I saw them before they hit it big at a club called The Swan in Pioneer Square. I was loud & raucous

Quote Originally Posted by Cogs View Post
    I know it has been an eon, but do you recall the venue? I'm pretty sure I saw them before they hit it big at a club called The Swan in Pioneer Square. I was loud & raucous
    It was at The Off Ramp. They were already testing out a few Nevermind songs live.

The other bands were decent but I was floored by the energy of Nirvana. It was my first introduction to what was happening in Seattle as well as a kind of music that represented Gen X, and how much the current rock genres were certainly not doing it.

(I'd also never experienced a public place in which that many teenagers were that drunk. When Seattle youth found something to do on a weekend, they went all in. )

Nirvana was cool before Kurt started losing it big time. Their early gigs were ferocious and they held nothing back.

Btw everytime I am reminded of him I want to buy a Boss DS-1 or DS-2.

The Boss DS-1 was the first pedal I bought when I went electric.

I haven't used it in ages. Maybe this post will motivate me to plug it in again.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

1987 I was 11 / 12 years old. Hadn't picked up guitar yet, but I'd been playing saxophone in the school band for several years at that point.
    I still have the old honker, but I haven't really picked it up in ages. |Every so often |I think about it, but I've totally lost my lip at this point, so I need to get lighter reeds again, and it should probably get repadded.
    Besides that, I was really starting to get into music on my own. Guns N Roses was my #1 at that point, with a few others as distant second. |I never got into the hair / shred metal, but others that were more blues based caught my interest. |I think it was around then I get Aerosmith, i was still a couple years from Metallica, but |I was hearing Rush and liking it, but not really knowing who it was.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

A friend of mine in Wisconsin overhauls saxes, cornets, and other reed instruments. LMK via PM or e-mail if you'd like his contact info.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    A friend of mine in Wisconsin overhauls saxes, cornets, and other reed instruments. LMK via PM or e-mail if you'd like his contact info.
    I'm near Boston. |We have a bunch of places that do it here. It's nothing really special, so I don't need to spend a fortune, much less shipping it back and forth.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Makes sense to me as well.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

In 1987, I was in my third year as the resident Deputy Sheriff assigned to the Lake Pillsbury region of the Mendocino National Forest in Lake County California. I was in the 8th year of my 27 year career as a full time sworn peace officer. My time at Lake Pillsbury was by far the best assignment I ever had in my career. In 1988, I promoted to Sergeant and moved back into the central patrol division as a first line supervisor, and thus began my ascent into middle management and division command. It was never as much fun after Pillsbury.
    Last edited by BobbyMac; 07-27-2021 at 04:19 PM.
    Born in Fullerton, California in 1952

Forum Member

In '87 my wife's little sister had moved back to town, so we put together a group with both of her sisters, guitar players came and went. Made quite a bit of weekend gig money here and in Arizona, and had a lot of fun!

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyMac View Post
    In 1987, I was in my third year as the resident Deputy Sheriff assigned to the Lake Pillsbury region of the Mendocino National Forest in Lake County California. I was in the 8th year of my 27 year career as a full time sworn peace officer. My time at Lake Pillsbury was by far the best assignment I ever had in my career. In 1988, I promoted to Sergeant and moved back into the central patrol division as a first line supervisor, and thus began my ascent into middle management and division command. It was never as much fun after Pillsbury.

Pretty cool signature, Brother!

TFF Stage Crew

lol, I noticed that, too