Thread: Reverb (the website)

TFF Stage Crew

Reverb (the website)

Has anyone used this site for selling gear? I guess I should have asked for info before the fact, but I threw some stuff up there just to see what it was like & it sold pretty quick. Still, it seems like you have to jump through a lot of hoops & there are fees & "features" that cost every time you click on a page.
    Has anyone else used this platform to sell their crap? I'd like to know if there are short-cuts to take or pitfalls to avoid.

Re: Reverb (the website)

they charge fees for money you don't even get. I sold a guitar to a guy that lived in a sales tax state. Reverb charged the buyer the sales tax, and then made me pay their fee on the sales tax (3 percent I think) and also charged me for their fee on the shipping as well. And they do that damn "plus 25 cents (or plus 35 cents)"

When I sell something, I set a price and I want to know exactly what I'm going to get for that price. It's almost impossible to calculate that from their formula. You just have to be a good boy and accept whatever they feel like bequeathing you.

IMNSHO, if I'm not required to collect sales tax, I should not be required to pay a fee on the amount that is solely the buyer's responsibility. Likewise, shipping is an expense that both the buyer and I pay. It's not income to me, it's not part of the value of the sale item.

When I brought this up to Reverb, their attitude was like "we're providing you a service, if you don't like it, don't use it." So I'm trying to sell elsewhere first. I suppose it's part of the reason why people price stuff rather high on Reverb.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

TFF Stage Crew

Ugh. I kinda had a sense that they were gonna nickel & dime me to death

I have given thought to unloading some of my stuff on Reverb, but my hesitation is based on considerations such as packing and shipping charges, commissions, and overhead. I've bought quite a bit off Reverb, and have been 100% satisfied with those transactions, but the selling part just makes me nervous. I suppose I should just suck it up and try selling a piece and see for myself.

On the other hand, a LGS has a Martin DJR-10E Streetmaster I'm interested in, and now that they are open for walk-in again, I'm thinking of seeing if we can make a deal for my Martin OMC-15E Streetmaster.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Forum Member

I sold an old Fender pedal steel guitar on Reverb several years ago. Seems they charged a fee based on what you were asking for the item back then. I was under the impression that once you sold a few items, they quit taking the fees up front.
    There seems to be a lot of buyers there, and my guitar actually sold to Chicago Music Exchange, (it was in really nice shape for it's age, 1963!)