Thread: Soldering iron

Soldering iron

It may sound odd but I’m a 40+ year old guitarist, been gigging with bands for years, but…

never took the time to learn to use a soldering iron and do minor soldering works myself, like output jacks and pedal switches.

Got a used wah with a cold joint and decided to fix it myself. Did my first soldering job this afternoon

Anyway, I used a 40 watt iron. Is that hot enough for most guitar related jobs or should I get a 60 watter? I’ve heard that if the iron isn’t hot enough and the process takes too long it might be bad for pots and other sensitive parts.

C’mon, guys, help the

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Re: Soldering iron

Forty watts is sufficient for all but the hardiest of repairs, like affixing a ground wire to an amp's chassis or a Strat's trem claw. I favor Weller's soldering-station for most jobs.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Re: Soldering iron

Yep. 40 watts will do most guitar related jobs. It's all in how you use it- keeping the tip clean and tinned, heating the parts with the iron and applying solder to the parts rather than the iron itself, etc. Put a blob of solder on the tip of the iron when you're done for the day- the tip will last a lot longer.