Thread: My 4001's Strap, and a Story of Drunkenness, Nudity, and Friendship

My 4001's Strap, and a Story of Drunkenness, Nudity, and Friendship

On my 20th birthday in 1982, my bandmates bought me that leather strap, and it's seen hundreds of gigs; it was a sweet gift because my job at the record store barely covered my car payment and rent. The lead guitarist also opened up his father's well-stocked liquor cabinet. I chose a 5th of JB Scotch. 3 hours later, I was naked on West End Ave. in Nashville. The city has recovered better from the tornados than they have from my birthday dance. At some point I dressed, and we went to our hangout, the Bennigans on White Bridge Rd. The manager greeted us, and I said, "Today's my 21st birthday." He said, "You've been drinking here for two years." I laughed. On my 21st birthday, I went in with a few friends and told the manager that I'd lied the year before but that I was in fact 21 today. I showed him my ID. "Fucker," he said, but he didn't care. During that year 82-83, we played some very good gigs and were building our name and attracting a core audience. We had some connections and were ready to rock. However, I got sick, and that was that. That band was fun, and I'm still close friends with my talented co-singer Stacey and the lead guitarist Terry.

If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: My 4001's Strap, and a Story of Drunkenness, Nudity, and Friendship

5 star post, baby !!
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

The strap is holding up pretty well, if it’s the one in the picture.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

I have that same strap which I picked up sometime in the mid '70s. It's wearing quite well though a few years back the holes for the strap buttons had stretched in size to the point I didn't feel comfortable using it lest it slip off the instrument at an inopportune moment. I fixed it by moistening the ends with water then gently pressing it with a steam iron set to "low". The moist heat shrank the holes perfectly and the strap was as good as new.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    I have that same strap which I picked up sometime in the mid '70s. It's wearing quite well though a few years back the holes for the strap buttons had stretched in size to the point I didn't feel comfortable using it lest it slip off the instrument at an inopportune moment. I fixed it by moistening the ends with water then gently pressing it with a steam iron set to "low". The moist heat shrank the holes perfectly and the strap was as good as new.
    Lovely were the days when products were durable. That was a clever way to fix it up. That's a tip I'll store in the back of my noggin. Thanks.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

"Tribal wisdom" from my ancestors.
    "When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

I, too, will remember this. I have a strap that I bought for my first guitar, circa '72. It's holding up ok but the strap holes are a little loose.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Good thinking, leather is some amazing stuff. I make all my own straps, bags, Belts both pain and tooled.

An example of a piece I made a few years back,
    https://flic.kr/p/21ag7SW
    Last edited by hushnel; 07-13-2021 at 12:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    I, too, will remember this. I have a strap that I bought for my first guitar, circa '72. It's holding up ok but the strap holes are a little loose.
    Good plan. I've been using the rubber Grolsch washers on the few guitars I don't have straplocks on. They seem to do the trick as well.
    |I got a bagful at a homebrew store (brewing your own beer) that was closing down a while ago for a song. I don;t think I'll ever use them all up.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

Watching a vid of Yes at Montreux. Squire. Whew. If I didn’t have my 4001, I’d need to get one.