Thread: Cars. First? All time favorite? Now?

Cars. First? All time favorite? Now?

Saw an interesting discussion in another forum and thought we'd like to talk about this here.

What was the first car you drove/owned? What's your all time favorite 4-wheeler? What do you curently drive?

Me: The first car I ever drove was a red 1979 sedan Chevette (I don't know if Chevy ever produced sedan Chevettes in the US but it was a common car here back then). I was still a kid and my father taught me how to steer and shift in it.

My all time favorites are the 60s Mustangs and the Ford Maverick, which is nothing fancy in the US but used to be a very popular and cool car here in Brazil. My band is named after it.

I am not really into spending money on Beemers and such, I drive a Mitsubishi Lancer.

Re: Cars. First? All time favorite? Now?

I learned to drive in a 1960 VW Beetle. A few years later, I bought my first car from a high school friend: A 1961 Mini Cooper. I paid $300 for it and then sunk $600 into it, having the engine balanced, blueprinted, installed a Sun SuperTach, and went about convincing my friends it was a mover! But the auto that I keep thinking about in my dreams is my 1968 Chevy El Camino SS396. Basically a Chevelle SuperSport with a truck bed instead of a back seat and trunk. Put a set of Doug's Headers, a Hurst shifter and some air shocks on it and ran Factory Stock C at the drags. Went 1/4 mile in 13.2 seconds in 108mph.

Today, I'm driving my latest acquisition, which I bought last month: A 2020 AMG E53 Coupe 4Matic. Holy smokes! More hp than the El Camino and a smoother ride, to boot!

Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

I don't know why, something tells me someone will mention Mazda Miatas here.

my first car was a 1964 Cadillac Fleetwood Eldorado Series 78 convertible. I bought it in 1978 for 640 dollars.

My favorite car was my 1999 Subaru Outback. My current car is a 2006 RX330 that used to be my dad's car.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

A chance to talk about one of my favorite subjects (again)!

My first was a 1966 Pontiac Tempest convertible with a 326cid V8. I bought it from a neighbor for $5 (part of a deal where my father sold him an old pickup truck). I rebuilt most of it. I'm the skinny dude bent over the back.

My all time favorite is my 1997 Mazda Miata with the factory race package. It's like an MG perfected. I love this car!

My current cars are the Miata and a 2019 Subaru Impreza. It's a base model with a manual transmission (and plastic hubcaps). I enjoy it! The sound and feel of the boxer engine is intoxicating.

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    A chance to talk about one of my favorite subjects (again)!

My first was a 1966 Pontiac Tempest convertible with a 326cid V8. I bought it from a neighbor for $5 (part of a deal where my father sold him an old pickup truck). I rebuilt most of it. I'm the skinny dude bent over the back.

My all time favorite is my 1997 Mazda Miata with the factory race package. It's like an MG perfected. I love this car!

My current cars are the Miata and a 2019 Subaru Impreza. It's a base model with a manual transmission (and plastic hubcaps). I enjoy it! The sound and feel of the boxer engine is intoxicating.
    I definitely like the Miata - any of the roadster style I like.
    I've tried the Impreza a couple times, each time I've gotten a vibration through the gear shift (yes, manual) that I just can't get over.

I learned to drive on an '89 Subaru station wagon - supremely underpowered - I couldn't bring more than a couple friends along for the ride...
    I got to use an '86 Fiero for a while. That was a fun car - under 2 tons with 180 horse V6 in there. |Too bad it wouldn;t turn if there was rain or snow down...
    The cars I've owned myself were a '98 Nissan 200 SX, SE-R - I think there's cults around that engine. Grat car, but I totalled it just a few months after paying it off.
    I went through a couple Mazda 3s, and last time I changed I needed an SUV for schlepping stuff round. Too bad none of them come with a manual these days. So I ended up with a Mazda CX-5. I actually like it a lot, though |I wish it was stick. Comfortable, good pickup, carries a lot, etc.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

I learned to drive in my parents Olds Delmont 88. That was a pig. Then they bought a 1970 Mercury Cougar which they gave to me when I was in college. It looked a bit like this one (but cr@ppier wheels).

My next favorite vehicle was my 1986 Bronco. that looked just like this...

My second favorite car was my 2005 Chrysler Crossfire I drove that for 11 years.

Then a couple of Mustangs (actually my third and fourth - I had a '96 Coupe, a '99 GT convertible and then these - a 2016 GT and my current daily driver - a 2018 GT- probably my favorite car.

"We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Learned to drive in a 61 VW Karman Ghia ragtop. First car was a 67 GTO co-owned with a neighbor. First car owned on my own was a 68 Olds 442. Current ride is a 14 Infiniti QX-70.
    Fav, any of them. They’re like children or pets, you can’t have a fav. You appreciate them for what they offer
    Mark

My first car was a ‘58 Chev Belair 2 door hardtop with a 348 cu in engine that I purchased in ‘63. It was quite the tire-smoking hot rod that I drove until selling it in early ‘65 to purchase my first Corvette.

My favorite four-wheel drive car would be my current ‘15 Cadillac Escalade ESV. It has everything you need for comfort, power, and good looks.

My favorite all time car would be a Corvette. We’ve had seven of them with the first a ‘62 and the current a ‘13 427 convertible.

Ten miles from the Mexican Frontier, in Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    ...and the current a ‘13 427 convertible.
    Most true Corvette aficionados refer to them as roadsters.

"When injustice becomes law then rebellion becomes duty."

I have a dodge minivan....sigh
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Quote Originally Posted by FrankJohnson View Post
    I have a dodge minivan....sigh
    my brother and i were talking cars, he admitted that of his recent cars, he really liked his minivan the best. Captain's chairs, upright seating position. He has a bad back and bad neck, plus he (normally) has to travel a ton for his work.

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    Most true Corvette aficionados refer to them as roadsters.

I always referred to my first Corvettes (‘62 and ‘65) as roadsters but then found that roadsters do not have roll up windows so the ‘53-‘55 Vettes are the only true roadsters. For what it’s worth, my family has always been a “Corvette family” with my brother owning three before he passed away in ‘95, my father owned two before passing in ‘96, and I’ve owned seven with my ‘66 coupe presently owned for 53 years and the ‘13 427 purchased new eight years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    I always referred to my first Corvettes (‘62 and ‘65) as roadsters but then found that roadsters do not have roll up windows so the ‘53-‘55 Vettes are the only true roadsters. For what it’s worth, my family has always been a “Corvette family” with my brother owning three before he passed away in ‘95, my father owned two before passing in ‘96, and I’ve owned seven with my ‘66 coupe presently owned for 53 years and the ‘13 427 purchased new eight years ago.
    Miatas are often referred to as roadsters, but they're not, based on the traditional definition of the word (neither was my MG Midget or MGB). I've finally given in to people misusing terms like roadster, sportscar, coupe, muscle car, etc... It's easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Miatas are often referred to as roadsters, but they're not, based on the traditional definition of the word (neither was my MG Midget or MGB). I've finally given in to people misusing terms like roadster, sportscar, coupe, muscle car, etc... It's easier.
    "Pre-CBS" is another oft-misused descriptive.

pre-lawsuit?

I'm guilty of that one. Still want a Rocket Roll Sr, but at decent specimens soar to 3K, it's looking like that ain't happening soon.

My first car was a 1980 Chevy Luv. The rust and fluid leaks were so overwhelming that I hesitate to track down and post it's one existent picture here.

It ended up sold to a scrap yard after mercifully throwing a rod while on a blistering highway run of 62 mph.

In the All Time Favorite Car category is a 1969 Chevy Nova SS, restored twenty years ago and still kept in a nearby storage garage.

Quote Originally Posted by DocIllinois View Post
    In the All Time Favorite Car category is a 1969 Chevy Nova SS, restored twenty years ago and still kept in a nearby storage garage.
    Awesome cars. The Nova and the Chevelle were so close in looks, but the smaller one because of its size and weight, could theoretically pack more oomph.

Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

How about some pics of that Nova, Doc?

Quote Originally Posted by phantomman View Post
    How about some pics of that Nova, Doc?
    A photo of the car is my profile pic.

Still working out how to even access the "Photos and Albums" part of the site to post any other pics, or add them into posts.