Thread: Identify this LP-Type Guitar

Identify this LP-Type Guitar

This is the guitar of the guy I saw at Papa Turney's in Nashville last weekend. There was never a good opportunity to talk to him about it.

Any idea what kind of guitar this is? A one off luthier build?

I'm not really into ornate instruments. This one sounds great, flash or not. This particular guitarist was simple but tasteful. Great sound he had.

If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Re: Identify this LP-Type Guitar

looks a lot like a Zematis, high end luthier from the UK, I think
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Dan, that's exactly what it is. I saw very similar ones on Reverb, and they're not expensive. It wasn't an impressive looking guitar to me. I prefer my LPs to look like LPs, and I don't like anything overly ornate. However I feel about the looks, I will say that the thing sounded great in that player's hands.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

that's kind of how i feel about them. They may have gone to Asia for a lesser expensive line, which may be what you're seeing on Reverb. I'm not about all kinds of abalone inlays and ornate carvings. The early ones seemed to have metal tops like a resonator guitar. There was a UK guy on LPF (lefty, too) who had one in his avatar for a long time.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

Zematis for sure. |Hard to tell what series it is, though, there are a few different levels, ranging from under a grand to close to $10k, depending on the decorations and such. |Guessing it's one of the lower end ones, but without more pics there's no way to tell for sure.
    Didn't someone on LPF take one of those and reroute the controls to add a fuzz box package in?
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

That's the best pic I could manage to take. The body was really thin, like one of those beginner Epiphone, but it wasn't an entry level guitar. I would imagine the guy's got some good stuff in whatever collection.

This thread seems to be the best place to put this, so here goes.

I enjoyed an outdoor concert by Clarence "The Bluesman" Turner last night. My reservation had me all the way in the back, but before the concert began, I was asked if I'd like to sit in an Adirondack chair in the front row. Um. . . yeah.

An enjoyable set, featuring a full band, including trumpet and sax. I wasn't expecting that; previous concerts I've seen at this venue have been solo acts. Another surprise was that Clarence wasn't playing a Stratocaster. Given that the press photos showed him holding one, and that he released an album called "Caster Blaster," I expected him to be playing one. Instead, he had a single cutaway LP-type. Not being the best at headstock recognition, I couldn't make out the brand. It was a pretty cherry color with white binding and gold hardware. I really liked the way he played: no pedals and no picks. Just straight into a Fender amp (better eyes than mine can identify the model), playing with his fingers and thumb. It reminded me of the way I play!

Not a Fender guitar in sight. The second/rhythm guitar player played what looked to me like a PRS SE Custom 24, and the bass player had an awesome left-handed eight-string bass that was custom made (I asked him after the show).

Guitar aficionados, if you can ID the guitar Turner is playing. . .

Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Custom job? Is the lower emblem on the headstock a take on the Gibson one?

Quote Originally Posted by ch willie View Post
    Custom job? Is the lower emblem on the headstock a take on the Gibson one?

Maybe. Although I think I've seen one like it before. He had his tuner covering part of it, but it look like either the letters SC or SG.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!