Thread: The Sunday Thread for July 4th

The Sunday Thread for July 4th

There's an old joke that goes, "How many countries have a fourth of July?" Answer: All of them.

But the United States celebrates its independence today. Its 245th birthday, so to speak. Despite some age lines, and perhaps a need for some vitamins, the old boy is still upright.

Keeping to a tradition I started a few years ago, I'm headed to out a baseball game, where the last two World Series champions are playing each other (I don't have high hopes for the home team; injuries have sapped the team's key players, and the visitors are on a tear right now). Then, I'll head to my daughter's for a barbecue and some family time with the grandkids.

I wish everyone a wonderful Fourth of July, even if you're not American and this is just another Sunday for you.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

Re: The Sunday Thread for July 4th

Y’all be safe today.

What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?

We're hosting the first family get-together post-COFVID this afternoon. It should be a blast! Might rain, but who cares! Have a great day!
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

Such a beautiful day here. I own less than an acre, but I have trees and greenery everywhere in my biggish back yard (biggish for suburbia). After coffee works its magic, I'm going to walk around the perimeters and look at the trees and flowers, think about the yard projects I want to do. Some practical, some outrageous and undoable. I can imagine building a small scale city consisting of copies of buildings and places I love from around the world.

For example, this is the fountain from the park Jardin de Luxembourg in Paris. I liked to rest here when I wanted to get away from the summer crowds. Imagine reproducing this at a size that would allow for wading. Just a fun idea.

Last edited by ch willie; 07-04-2021 at 07:02 AM.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Happy 4th, everyone!

Began the day with a fruit based breakfast and went to the gym. Been a week since I started working out again. I missed it a lot. Reducing the junk food and gymming has provided me an overall well being and a few pounds less.

Lunch at my old folks’ and then Ame and the missus will finish Bosch’s last season.

Buds and guitar in the evening as usual.

Willie, that picture reminded me of the fountain at the Botanic Garden in Rio de Janeiro, here’s a pic I took (you can see the Cristo Redentor far up the hill):

Quote Originally Posted by Sérgio View Post
    Happy 4th, everyone!

Willie, that picture reminded me of the fountain at the Botanic Garden in Rio de Janeiro, here’s a pic I took (you can see the Cristo Redentor far up the hill):
    I see it. Diving pose. I hope the statue's not going to attempt to dive into the fountain from there!!!!

It is a beautiful fountain, all jokes aside.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

I hope all have a great 4th of July.

We started out the day riding the Harley out to a country bar for bloodies and breakfast on an absolutely beautiful, cloudless, warm Wisconsin summer day. We met a rider from Odessa, TX and had an excellent meal so the day has started really great! We’re off to listen to a friend’s band play at a local fishing derby and to enjoy a couple cold barley-pops.

it's been raining non-stop since wednesday, finally seemed to be taking a break. Woke up smelling something like gasoline. Thought maybe my brother was trying to mow the lawn. He asked if I smelled anything. Turns out our lawnmower (ancient machine we bought when we moved in) had sprung a leak in the garage. Now we know why the inspector said 'no gas powered machines should be stored in there'. Time to get a shed, or at the very least one of those outdoor storage boxes. Or a tarp and bungee cords.

at least it's 60 degrees. I had to turn the heat on a couple times in the past few days, just to take the chill off. In July. That's just not right. We might get fireworks tonight but I wonder if low cloud cover will interfere?

I'm supposed to get the rental van tomorrow, considering postponing it. There's some old shelves and weird storage boxes on the garage walls that I just have no desire for. If I can't get those dismantled today, it will interfere with the unloading of the storage unit content. I keep hitting my head on them, so they aren't doing me any good.

I'm starting a project journal for the things that need to be attended to around the house. I'll also start a companion spreadsheet to track time and expenses. I just realized that we moved in 2 months ago today.
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

The rain stopped and the sun is coming out!

point of reason between tacky and tasteless

Was up and at it on bass with a 7 am call time. Got home about 2. Fired
    up the smoker and made pig shots. Slowly getting
    my rebuilt “strat” setup. Like to get it done
    tonight and let it settle and then check it again.

Need to take some pics and post a putter for sale (it seems it’s worth 500-600), get somethings together for a consultant as they are preparing for my upcoming job hunt, as well as replace the hammer, trigger and springs on a revolver. Not sure I’ll get that all done before Tuesday.
    It prepping for Elsa yet as I think it will be good kite
    flying weather if you put
    up with the rain.
    Mark

TFF Stage Crew

The band I'm in had our first gig in 18 mos. & we didn't suck!

Quote Originally Posted by Cogs View Post
    Nice! Glad it went well.

woo hoo, all right !!

I’m hoping that I didn’t lose it when I requested posts from someone named CatherineTut be removed. It was a constant strain of smut that really sucked from a sick mind (I think, never opened any links).

Man, there’s been such a swarm of spam robots lately, I am thinking of applying for a mod assignment and helping Cogs and pc clean the mess

TFF Stage Crew

I've been deleting posts & banning spammers all weekend. There's a new breed of spammer that will post around 30 posts at a time. All smutty links

Times have changed.

The guy who does my lawn told me that when he got a new phone and they transferred his data, the store told him he had 70 messages from women wanting to sleep with him. He was pretty proud about it. I didn't have the heart to explain spam to him.

I've been reporting a shed load of those heavy hitter multiple post spammers. It's like a swarm of cicadas except not as nice

TFF Stage Crew

Lol

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    I've been reporting a shed load of those heavy hitter multiple post spammers. It's like a swarm of cicadas except not as nice
    Boy, I hate to be the "idea guy."

https://captcha.com/captcha-download.html
    Striving to be ordinary

is that the thing that asks you to "choose which picture(s) have a bicycle" and show a cityscape taken from 5 miles away that may or may not have the item in question? Usually I have to go through them 7 or 8 times before it finally accepts that I'm not a bot

Quote Originally Posted by DanTheBluesMan View Post
    is that the thing that asks you to "choose which picture(s) have a bicycle" and show a cityscape taken from 5 miles away that may or may not have the item in question? Usually I have to go through them 7 or 8 times before it finally accepts that I'm not a bot

Yes, but there are a number of different ones. The idea is not to enforce two-factor or multifactor authentication (TFA/MFA) every time, but to require a new registrant to prove they aren't a bot. They aren't foolproof, but the fools flocking to TFF need some sort of blockage.
    Striving to be ordinary

I've been deleting posts & banning spammers all weekend. There's a new breed of spammer that will post around 30 posts at a time. All smutty links
    I posted elsewhere a link to a free bot detection Captcha download which work with vBulletin 4.x. https://captcha.com/captcha-download.html
    Striving to be ordinary

I do think that what OS has suggested would be a good safeguard to implement.
    What happend?
    Who let the magic smoke out?