Thread: The Great Debate I've Never Seen

The Great Debate I've Never Seen

With all the hoopla over guitar cables and their supposed virtues, why aren't people talking about wireless tone vs cable tone?

Does a wireless system affect your guitar tone?

Do different brands of wireless systems have their own sound?

I know nothing about this. Enlighten me!
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

Re: The Great Debate I've Never Seen

If I recall, Angus Young uses an old wireless system for the way its preamp boosts the signal. I think I've read that a pedal or device has been made to emulate it, so I guess the answer is yes. I have no idea how modern systems affect tone. Those with bat ears will say the affect is huge and those with wooden ears will say it makes no difference.

My hearing is not as acute as it once was, so I can't differentiate the difference in tone certain gear has on my playing. I buy strings by gauge because I can't tell the difference between phosphor/bronze, nanoweb coated and so on. The same is true with wireless. I have an Xvive wireless transmitter/receiver and the only difference I can tell is that I don't get wrapped up in cable.
    Striving to be ordinary

Proud to be a TFF Dumbass!

On the good ones there's no tone difference until the battery goes dead.

But funny as it sounds - having the battery pack on my strap felt weird at first. Enough to annoy me until I got used to it.

Then again, maybe it's the cure for SG-itis.

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

I'm surprised the "true by-bass" delegation doesn't come out screaming "tone-suck" and other such comments.

I have no experience using a wireless set-up, but sometimes the thought intrigues me. I'm not real fussy about my signal chain, but was wondering if the sound became compressed or the overall tone changed.

Hmmmmmm
    If you're bored, you're not groovin'.

I have a Line 6 Relay G10 that should work great. the design is pretty cool. The receiver has a port that takes the transmitter and recharges it. I bought it with Guitar Center points after buying my last Gibson acoustic from them. I had to replace it three times before I got one that worked. I would have just returned the darn thing except when you use Guitar Center points - you can't! Total rip-off. The last one does work and seems to work properly - no noticeable tone loss - but I've got the least-trained ear for this stuff so who knows.
    "We catched fish and talked, and we took a swim now and then to keep off sleepiness." Mark Twain

I have two of those, GJ. Tone sounds great to me through them. I was lucky not to have a defective one. I only used them a couple of times live, but they performed wonderfully.
    If we'd known we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.--George Harrison

Bob, I thought about this some more. With a pedal board not my favorite setup. One more thing taking up space and needing another wall wart, but since I've switched to a rack system it's the effing sland. Makes setup a breeze too. It's pretty liberating to be wireless on stage.

All imho, ymmv,

Chuck
    "No harmonic knowledge, no sense of time, a ghastly tone, unskilled vibrato, and so on. Chuck is one of the worst guitar players I know" -Gravity Jim

I’ve been thinking of buying a wireless set myself.

I've had one in my sweetwater list since may 2018
    "Live and learn and flip the burns"

I had a wireless unit ages ago - an old Nady, IIRC. I was too young and dumb to notice if it had an effect on my tone.
    The thing that got to me was that it was a pain when I wanted to change guitars. I move around just enough that keeping the pack in my pocket didn't work well, and the cable was just long enough that it would catch on things if I didn't wind it around the strap. And of course, I couldn't just change straps with the guitar - the way they were set it would be too long or short, depending on which guitar.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.