Thread: QSC speakers

QSC speakers

I have been using qsc speakers among other for a few years now...my absolute favorites. I recently over worked them but these troopers are solid. I vow to take it easier but still ask them to perform. We are in a committed relationship.

Anyone else using them?
    Kenny Belmont
    >:^{I)>

Re: QSC speakers

Celestion, Eminence and recently Jensen user here (and now an unconditional Jensen fan all the way). But you got me curious about QSC now, that's for sure.

Care to detail what you're using and with what?

Actually referring to PA speakers....powered speaker cabinets. Using k12...k12.2 ank10 along with kw 181 subs.....
    Kenny Belmont

I really gotta thank you for the laugh you just made me do at myself. Been having some ROUGH days.

I had never heard of QSC speakers before (I thought you were talking about guitar amp speakers ), my band doesn't own PAs. We've always used whatever the house had/rented. Though I've been literally on the road with other musicians for the last 10 years or so, I never really stopped to study PAs.

Now I will.

Sergio -

For small to med size gigs, I usually provide our own sound. Its fairly typical here. I own all the PA so I also freelance and do sound on the side for some bands. I have gotten picky about it and just don't do diva bands or get held hostage anymore over volume or overkill demands. There are a lot of small places, where the pay isn't very much and some bands still can't handle that for PA. I decided to fill the niche and if it isn't too far, I give them limited PA for less cost than if I did a "real" job for them. Right now I am requiring them to provide their own vocal mics, but I can do the rest. It works for me, I get a little scratch and they get good sound. I did a little more recently, with 4 subs across the front and 4 of the K12s, and 4 monitors, lights and break music, along with MC/introduction etc. still small compared to a sound company, but also a LOT lest money and decent enough for me to hire a helper.
    Kenny Belmont

Back in the days of BIG PA systems I used to own a tri-amped setup with QSC (later Carver PM1.5) power amps, JBL horns and drivers, JBL 15” mids, and Cerwin-Vega 18” subs.

We’re playing an outdoor gig one time and our audience starts pointing up at one of the mids and it got me curious what they were seeing until I saw the smoke coming out of it. The damned soundman had everything cranked so high he fried the voicecoil in one of the speakers.

I’m very happy I no longer own any sound equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankJohnson View Post
    Sergio -

For small to med size gigs, I usually provide our own sound. Its fairly typical here. I own all the PA so I also freelance and do sound on the side for some bands. I have gotten picky about it and just don't do diva bands or get held hostage anymore over volume or overkill demands. There are a lot of small places, where the pay isn't very much and some bands still can't handle that for PA. I decided to fill the niche and if it isn't too far, I give them limited PA for less cost than if I did a "real" job for them. Right now I am requiring them to provide their own vocal mics, but I can do the rest. It works for me, I get a little scratch and they get good sound. I did a little more recently, with 4 subs across the front and 4 of the K12s, and 4 monitors, lights and break music, along with MC/introduction etc. still small compared to a sound company, but also a LOT lest money and decent enough for me to hire a helper.

I understand, the thing is exactly the cost and labor involved. Most clubs here have their own PA previously set up, and it would be too much trouble to have it all swapped just for our own gig. Plus, since we play gigs just for the fun of it (not that we don’t take it seriously, but we don’t play for a living) we do the math and the cost and effort of setting up our own sound just wouldn’t be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Laker View Post
    Back in the days of BIG PA systems I used to own a tri-amped setup with QSC (later Carver PM1.5) power amps, JBL horns and drivers, JBL 15” mids, and Cerwin-Vega 18” subs.

We’re playing an outdoor gig one time and our audience starts pointing up at one of the mids and it got me curious what they were seeing until I saw the smoke coming out of it. The damned soundman had everything cranked so high he fried the voicecoil in one of the speakers.

I’m very happy I no longer own any sound equipment.

I hear you. Most small gigs we use vocal mics....maybe a touch of kick and run everything else bareback. Trying to to take faces off is a good thing.
    2 k12s out front 2 k10s on the floor maybe a monitor for the drummer.
    Kenny Belmont