Thread: Reverend Alltone 1250 vs. Jensen C12N RI

Forum Member

Reverend Alltone 1250 vs. Jensen C12N RI

I have the Jensen C12N in an Alessandro Working Dog, and it sounds great clean, but it gets a little nasal and pinched sounding when I drive it hard for leads. I was thinking about replacing it with one of the Reverend Alltone 1250's, but aren't they based on the Jensen? If so, then I would think I'd just be getting more of the same. Anybody compared these two or have experience with the Alltone?
    Do you know me? O' coase you do!!!!

Forum Member
    I've had the Jensen C12Nri speakers in my Deluxe Reverb RI and Twin Reverb RI and while I liked the clean tone they sounded brittle to me when you cranked the amps to distortion. I wound up replacing them in my TRRI with the Alltones and like them a lot better. The Alltones have a smoother high end with distortion and the lows stay tight instead of "farting out" like the Jensens did. On the other hand, I tried the Alltone in my DRRI and it sounded good but stayed too clean with only 22 watts driving it. I wound up going back to stock eminence speaker that came in the DRRI and like it best.

Forum Member
    Hmmm. ... the Working Dog is adjustable from 20-40 watts, and I usually run it between 30 and 40 unless I'm playing a pretty quiet dinner set or something. At $59 direct, I suppose it won't exactly break the bank if I get it and don't care for it.

Forum Member
    I have two Deluxe Reverbs and run Alltones in both of them. I really like that speaker. :60burst

I use an undoped Weber C12N and I love it. Haven't tried the Alltones though.
    Last edited by GuitarG; 08-02-2002 at 12:08 PM.

Forum Member
    Have you had any problems with cone cry or edge yowl in that undoped Weber? I'm getting a nasally overdriven lead tone out of the Jensen that almost borders on edge yowl, especially on the 1st and 2nd strings around the 10th-15th frets.

No, I haven't noticed anything like that from the Weber. I was concerned that it might bother me before I bought it, but it sounds great throughout the entire range of the guitar. It also handles both low volume and maxed out power very well. Holds tight at higher volume levels, but doesn't sound whimpy or sterile when played quietly. If fact I am going to buy a couple of his C10N's for my Blue Angel.
    Last edited by GuitarG; 08-02-2002 at 12:13 PM.

Thats funny how speakers can sound different in different amps; The C12N has been a great choice for me in my Fargen custom and I'm not hearing any nasal or brittleness when pushed, in fact it's opened up my amp and it pairs great with the Celestion V10 thats in there.

I would have liked to try more choices but it drove me nuts with all the different possibilities, trying to go with mismatched speakers.

Chow,
    Seegs

Forum Member
    I guess it also depends on how mid-heavy an amp is. The way I have the Working Dog dialed in, it's almost like a cross between tweed and early Marshall Bluesbreaker. The Fargen, if it's voiced more like a BF Fender might not be pushing quite as much mids.

Shanghai, how do you have the EQ adjusted on your Working Dog??

Forum Member
    My starting point is usually somewhere like 11 o'clock on the vol, creamy switch on, reverb about noon- 1 o'clock, treble at about 1-2 o'clock, mids at about 10-11 o'clock, bass around 9 o'clock. Final output is usually set between 30 and 40 watts. I adjust it from there to suit the room.

Forum Member
    hottub- do you have one of the WD's? I've got an All-Tone 1250 in transit for mine. If you're interested, I'll post the results of how it compares with the stock Jensen after I try it out.

If your looking for a nice clear clean the Jensens C12N RI beats out the 1250. The 1250 is just a darker speaker
    WWJD?

Forum Member
    The 1250 should be here Thursday. If I don't like it, I'll sell it or trade it for something else. I like the clean sound of the Jensen C12N RI, but the overdrive sound with humbuckers is a little on the harsh side, at least in that particular amp.

Forum Member ferdi from Germany's Avatar
    which one would you say is the one to go for for an early SRV kind of tone (BEFORE he used EVs). I bought a RI C12N and find it much too thin sounding. Maybe it still needs to break in though.

Shanghai Bill

Yep, I have a W.D.! Great amps! I have the 2x10 20 watt model.

and yes, I would definitely be interested in the results.

Forum Member
    I've gotten two gigs in with it. I like the Rev spkr quite a bit better. The clean tone is as good as the Jensen's, maybe a little less sparkle to the top- but dialing in a little more treble than before rectifies that. The overdrive tone has really improved. That upper mid notch is gone, clearing up the nasalness that bothered me so much. It actually sounds more "tweedish" now than before, especially when it's overdriven. I like it.

Forum Member ferdi from Germany's Avatar
    In the mean time I kicked out the RI C12N and loaded my amp with two Weber 12F150s... and these are keepers! For my amp, these are the finest speakers I have ever seen or heard. They needed some time to break in though, but now they cause the sun to shine :o) .

The V30s are now in the ext cab with some beam blockers to tame the highs.

ferdi

Shanghai Bill,
    I recently picked up a 40 watt Rotweiller and it has 2 Jensen C12R's in it. I havent gigged with it yet. I'm wondering how the C12R's are gonna be? I'm wondering if I'm gonna have enough to cut through and have enough headroom.
    How has your Alltone been? I might need to make the switch.

Forum Member
    As you might guess I use 1250s. I prefer their top end chime but they do lack a creamyness in the middle and dynamic bottom-end. I recommend them if you run mutliple cabs with Celestions, V30s or a sub.

Forum Member
    I've had a Jensen P12N in my DRRI for about a year and it just keeps sounding better all the time. Perhaps they need more "break-in time", but I'm pretty happy with the sound of mine.